This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How many records should be expected when I SNMP walk on ESX 4 with NPM 10?

How many records should be expected when I SNMP walk on ESX 4 with NPM 10?

Can all of VMware's MIBs be included in Orion's MIB database now or is this loaded per ESX 4 configuration?

VMWARE-ROOT-MIB.mib

VMWARE-TC-MIB.mib

VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB.mib

VMWARE-SYSTEM-MIB.mib

VMWARE-ENV-MIB.mib

VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB.mib

VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB.mib

VMWARE-OBSOLETE-MIB.mib

VMWARE-AGENTCAP-MIB.mib

VMWARE-VC-EVENT-MIB.mib

• Hiya Larry--

I'm going to mark this for dev and PM so they can chime in.

M

• Not sure I get what you are asking for.  Only thing we gather via SNMP in 10 now is volumes, interfaces and CPU/Memory of the ESX server.  We gather the rest via the API.

• i only get around 150 OIDs from these few MIBs

VMWARE-SYSTEM-MIB
    VMWARE-VMINFO-MIB
    VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB
    VMWARE-ROOT-MIB

i was hoping these others

VMWARE-TC-MIB.mib

VMWARE-PRODUCTS-MIB.mib

VMWARE-ENV-MIB.mib

VMWARE-OBSOLETE-MIB.mib

VMWARE-AGENTCAP-MIB.mib

VMWARE-VC-EVENT-MIB.mib

so i could use them with UnDP.

• Gotcha just open a support ticket and submit those MIB's and in the next compile in the next week or so they will be in there.  So on a different topic, what other data are you interested in from VMWare?  Have you checked out the virtualization product from our new product Profiler?

• To anyone interested in knowing or having or working with these ESX 4 MIBs, you can find them here.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/esx40_snmp_mib_dt/ZHcqYmQqaCViZGVqdA==

Also, we struggled getting SNMP & SNMP TRAPS working with the documentation offered. The internal tech working on this told me there was an undocumented part. I'll try to find that out and share it.

• Hello...

Thanks for the link.  Has the Solarwinds MIB database been updated with the additional MIBs that you were after?  We have just installed some ESXi 4.1 servers.  When doing an SNMP walk of the servers with the latest MIB databse we do not get the 'VMWARE-OBSOLETE-MIBS' in the list of MIBs.  We are hoping (maybe foolishly) that this may include MIB information on the physical hard drives in the ESXi server.

Cheers,

... Simon

• I have not seen it updated. Most of our VMware is on Dell hardware and we've successfully gotten these MIBs working for us to see drive info. See MIB-DELL...below

Here is an SNMP MIB browse from one of our VMware servers. If you have Dell hardware then you might check out their MIBs.

Count of MIB

MIB
    Total
    VMWARE-SYSTEM-MIB
    VMWARE-RESOURCES-MIB
    UDP-MIB
    UCD-SNMP-MIB
    UCD-DLMOD-MIB
    UCD-DISKIO-MIB
    StorageManagement-MIB
    SNMP-VIEW-BASED-ACM-MIB
    SNMPv2-MIB