cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

How long each interface or node was down.

For 10.6

What's new.

Relative time period

Show durations more or less selected value.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-121942

1.jpg

2.jpg

Message was edited by: Gob

Labels (1)
119 Replies
Level 8

Hi all! Who added this report to NPM 12? What do you change, if yes?

Best regards, Asset

0 Kudos

Didn't work for me.  I had to remove this resource.  I can't believe Solarwinds hasn't developed a resource like this.  After all these years!  It the most useful of all summary resources and we used it extensively.

0 Kudos

I have my own personal wish list of resources that I pray the devs would build for me so I can appreciate the sentiment. In the mean time, you can build most of the same capabilities with SWQL queries if you learn how to do them or snag them from the Thwack community.

I don't have time to rework the queries for Interfaces right now, but here are some quickly put together equivalents to the Node Downtime resources here that seem to be no longer operational.

Downtime of Nodes currently Down

SELECT

n.caption as Node

,n.detailsurl as [_linkfor_Node]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Node]

,n.ip_address as [IP Address]

,n.detailsurl as [_linkfor_IP Address]

,ToLocal(n.LASTSYSTEMUPTIMEPOLLUTC) as [Last Polled]

,round((minutediff(n.LASTSYSTEMUPTIMEPOLLUTC,getutcdate())/60.0),1) as [Down Hours]

from orion.nodes n

where status=2

--and caption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

Or if you are looking for all the down periods during the previous 7 days

SELECT

-- Device name

StartTime.Nodes.Caption AS [Device]

-- This will generate the status icon to the left of the device name

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + StartTime.Nodes.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Device]

,starttime.nodes.detailsurl as [_linkfor_Device]

-- I found that the 'Message' column was too wide for my purposes and opted to remove it

-- If you want it in your resource, just remove the comment marker (--) from the line below

--,StartTime.Message

-- Down Event time stamp in local time zone

,ToLocal(StartTime.EventTime) AS [Down Event]

-- Up Event time stamp in local time zone

,(SELECT TOP 1

ToLocal(EventTime) AS [EventTime]

FROM Orion.Events AS [EndTime]

WHERE EndTime.EventTime >= StartTime.EventTime

AND EndTime.EventType = 5

AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'

AND EndTime.NetObjectID = StartTime.NetObjectID

AND EventTime IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime

) AS [Up Event]

-- Downtime duration in minutes. Based on either the current time (node is still down) or Up Event time (node is back up)

,CASE

WHEN (SELECT TOP 1 ToLocal(EventTime) AS [EventTime]

WHERE EndTime.EventTime >= StartTime.EventTime

AND EventTime IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime) IS NULL THEN MINUTEDIFF(StartTime.EventTime, GETUTCDATE())

ELSE MINUTEDIFF(StartTime.EventTime,

(SELECT TOP 1 EventTime

WHERE EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime

ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime))

END AS [Minutes]

-- This is the table we are querying

FROM Orion.Events StartTime

-- EventType = 1 is to correlate with our 'Down Event' time stamp from line 13 above

WHERE StartTime.EventType = 1

and daydiff(starttime.eventtime,getdate())<7

--AND StartTime.Nodes.caption like '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

-- Order our results from the newest to oldest 'Down Event'

ORDER BY [Down Event] DESC

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

- Marc Netterfield, Github

I know this is an old thread but how can filter this to show only a certain device type?

0 Kudos

You could use custom properties and just do where nodescustomproperties.device_type = 'xx'....

0 Kudos

Brilliant! This is excellent work. Since I'm decidedly not an expert in SQL or SWQL, is it possible to modify the "last 7 days" query to only display nodes based on a condition (custom properties, machine type, vendor, etc)? Scratch that! I see you included that option at the bottom of the query   My next question would be if it's possible to only show events that last over a certain amount of time?

0 Kudos

probably something along the lines of adding a

"where [minutes] > 60" near the bottom, but i feel like it may be a bit more complicated than that

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

Where does this resource store its data? I had to reinstall Orion and I am missing the last 12 months worth of outage information.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Come on, there has to have been someone that's installed this with the latest version of NPM......anyone used this with NPM 10.7+ yet?

0 Kudos

Does anyone know if this works with the latest version?

Or is there an update out for it?

Great query that I really would like to use. Running NPM 11.0.1

0 Kudos

idk this is a serious blast from the past you are looking at... I suppose if you can try pasting the SQL into the report writer and see if you can get any results... a few of the table names may have changed but my guess is it's still pretty workable from glancing over it.  I used to use this resource back 5 years ago lol!

0 Kudos

This resource "sort of" works in NPM 11.5.2. It took my web console a few tries to get the resource to load into my views. I had to run the config wizard a few times, and re-copy the files to INETPUB. Eventually something caught hold and the resource in my views showed up, but I can't actually add the resource manually because it doesn't show up in the search when customizing a page. It is very strange.

0 Kudos

Yeah that's the issue I'm having, they won't show up in the search when I customize a page...

Which configuration wizard are you referring too when you say you had to run it a couple of times?

thanks.

0 Kudos

The SolarWinds Configuration Wizard. It will reconfigure your IIS site to "factory defaults", so any add-ins you have installed or customizations you have made will be removed. This does not include views, discoveries, reports, etc, since those are stored in the database.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

I'm new to SolarWinds and trying to build a NOC for our company. I spotted the datestamps on this and realised it was old, but was hoping someone knew how to get it to work as this is exactly what we need!

0 Kudos
Level 9

Out of curiosity, has anyone tested this with NPM v10.7 yet?  I would really like to implement this into my environment and want to make sure it will work before committing to the change.  Excellent work either way, Gob!!!!!

0 Kudos

Hi Gob,

I've copied the files into my directory but the resources are not showing up. I'm on 10.6 at the moment and used the files from the 10.6 folder in your download. Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks,

- Nick

0 Kudos

nickzourdos

Did you run the configuration wizard, selecting the option for "website", after you copied the files?

If not, you might want to try that.

If you have already done that, and it is still not working, then, unfortunately, I do not know what else to tell you.

Hope it helps...

0 Kudos

That actually broke my web console

Luckily I made a backup beforehand. After I restored it, this resource popped up! It has been intermittent in the past so let's hope it's here to stay!

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi Gob,

If I input 10 it is ok. It would get those events where the node went down with 10 minutes or more. However we would also like to display all those event that went down below 10 minutes ( 9 minutes and below). We want to treat them as "intermittent".

Another one is to filter the events that happened in between time periods (08:00 - 17:00) or business hours.

Cheers,

0 Kudos