cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

How frequently does NPM log into ASA's for monitoring when the "Advanced ASA Monitoring" box is checked?

I recently discovered that NPM was logging into my ASA's much more frequently than I expected.  Every minute.

That seems excessive, and I question if it isn't the result of enabling the special NPM Secret Sauce called Advanced ASA Monitoring?

pastedImage_0.png

Do you have any experience with loads of logins to ASA's when the box is checked, or other proof for-or-against this theory?

0 Kudos
10 Replies

I see an interesting trend, serena​.  I appreciate the new info since this feature was released, but my company's security team question the value of so many / frequent logins to ASA's by NCM.

What's SW's official thought on this?  Are we experiencing unusual activity, or is it normal for NCM to log into every ASA every minute or three?

0 Kudos

rschroeder  wrote:

I see an interesting trend, serena .  I appreciate the new info since this feature was released, but my company's security team question the value of so many / frequent logins to ASA's by NCM.

What's SW's official thought on this?  Are we experiencing unusual activity, or is it normal for NCM to log into every ASA every minute or three?

This one isn't really in my area of expertise. I am tagging in jpetkevich for his expert advice

0 Kudos

rschroeder​ This part of the design of to poll the ASAs at the frequency described.

0 Kudos

The issue I am having with the frequency is the sessions are not complete and SolarWinds opens another session to the same ASA until it has exhausted all available SSH sessions. I am often unable to SSH to the ASAs.

I don't think it should be opening multiple sessions to the same ASA, or the frequency should be a variable we can change.

0 Kudos

moobysDeltona​ For NCM it accesses the ASA to execute configuration based actions like download or upload, so that is dependent on the NCM Job settings. For NPM it is based on the Orion Polling Settings which are configurable and default intervals vary depending on the information polled ( Admin > Thresholds & Polling > Orion Polling Settings ).

Hi,

This does not make sense. In NPM the polling interval for the ASA is set to the default 120 sec status polling and 10 minutes statistics polling. There is no field in the ASA node properties page that refers to ASA polling interval and yet, polling of the ASA is occurring every minute. When can this be changed?

0 Kudos

>BUMP

0 Kudos

Hi jpetkevich

Could you please confirm how many minutes polling interval for ASA is design thanks.

Same issue here.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I have noticed the same thing with the new Advanced Cisco ASA Monitoring. I have actually been unable to connect a couple of times because all of the sessions are being used by SolarWinds on ASAs with huge configs.