This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How does NPM monitor bandwidth utilization

Hi

I've a question in relation to how does NPM monitor bandwidth utilization, I am aware of Netflow and how it works etc

I am wondering how does NPM monitor bandwidth utilization of devices that do not support Netflow ?  What requirements are there. What I would like to be able to do for example is monitor the utilization on specific interfaces on switches, or does it simply use a command like show int gig x/x/x  and pulls the results and displays them.  How does it show if there is packet loss etc.(Constant ping?) or does it pull all this information off the show int summary

Thanks for your help

Cian

• Hi there,

Utilization is calculated by looking at ifInOctects and ifOutOctets along with the interface speed (ifSpeed).
    These counters are a subset of the OID's Orion uses when polling nodes.

If you think the bandwidth reported seems off then have a look at the interface speed that Orion reports back on the node. If the interface is capped on the node then you need to add a custom bandwidth to the interface in Orion.

With regards to packet loss, i did a quick search and found this post. Hope this helps.