cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 19

How do you customize Orion?

The Orion product team is working on enhancing the Orion web console. One of the areas we want to look at is customization. We want to know more about what our customers do regarding this functionality?

How do you customize Orion? When you customize Orion, what's the problem you are trying to solve? What do you want to do that you cannot do?

Denny LeCompte
Sr. Product Manager, Orion
SolarWinds
0 Kudos
125 Replies
Level 8

I agree with crowes.  We need a single real-time view for the GNOC staff that keeps them up-to-date & proactive.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi There,

Here is some of the fings that would be greate to have on orion:

- a  "web part" with the Possibility to create multi gauge with differente pollers on wicth gauge.

- I our case we collect a lot of data from apc ups like, model, serial number, last battery replacement and i have to add one tabular universal device poller display to each of this informations on the web console, it would be a great feature that the same tabular universal device poller display can add more then one detail.

- We also would like to have views where i could have multi node details view, for example i would like to have a view where i could see all the details of my APC ups.

- In the advanced alerts engine we have many trigger actions sending mails, and on each new alert that we creat we have to create all the mail treager again if the advanced alert engine had the possibility to creat a centralized email action with all the configuration and message that could used in future alert rules.

Regards

0 Kudos
Level 7

What I would like to do that I cannot do is to filter the "last XX events"...I'm not interested in an interface changing speed, but I would like it if my up/downs were not buried in an avalanche of less critical information.

0 Kudos
Level 11

What I would like to do that I cannot do is to filter the "last XX events"...I'm not interested in an interface changing speed, but I would like it if my up/downs were not buried in an avalanche of less critical information.

I second this.  I have tried before, all I was able to do is create a report that does this, and the report does not run reliably on my BB.  I have a large number of microwave links that auto-throttle themselves quite often and important messages do get lost...

0 Kudos
Level 9

One more suggestion:

Make a "Goto Node: " box based on the "Search for Nodes" box already in Orion.

No one likes to use the "Search for" when they already know the device name.

Could we get that soon?

0 Kudos
Level 9

Here's a quick one I just finished up. Not all THAT usefull...but we use it sometimes.

Here's the link to content exch:

0 Kudos
Level 9

We want to change the charts for our node details and interface details.

example:

for "Average Response Time & Packet Loss" instead of bar chart we want a line chart and the exact value for this chart.

I can't figure out how to do this.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I would like to see the ability of not showing the flashing red box next to a node when using a bri card in a cisco router.  This is for ISDN use and the bri only comes up when it is in use and it is down when it isn't which then makes the node look like interfaces are down when they really aren't.

0 Kudos
Level 7

If you don't need to monitor the interface when it comes up you could not monitor its status by deselecting it from the node resources.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Is it possible to add in an addition option for setting the device views.  Currently we can assign views by device type.  Can this be modified to include lists of monitored devices that you can assign views to. 

As opposed to all "cisco 2600's-default node view", we could have "routerX switchY,routerZ -Custom view"

0 Kudos
Level 9

Easier manipulation of views by device type. 

EX: Liebert UPS/HVAC/EM are all the same device type... but I would enjoy an easier way to configure custom views for each sub object...

0 Kudos
Level 16

If you have the NCM (old Cirrus) can't you use the inventory reports?  Is there a way to display this in the device details?

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am looking to add VMware ESX servers into our Orion Monitoring Environment, currently we can only see NIC uptime. Can you recommend the best way to do this? Is there a way to integrate the VM Monitor tool into Orion to use in conjunction with Maps and Performance Monitor? I have about 50 VM ESX 3.5.0 servers that I need to add to our existing monitoring and Map configurations that are Windows Servers and Cisco Network devices, etc...and we are looking to get the same functionality with the ESX servers. Any advise, tips, links, or tricks that any body can share would be great. I am new to Thwack and Solarwinds and learning as I go.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Level 19

If you're using Orion NPM 9.1, it will automatically recognize the ESX servers and poll VM-specific and ESX-specific data from them.  Have you tried just managing an ESX server and then clicking on the ESX node to see what you get?

0 Kudos
Level 7

thanks for the reply. we are running Orion NPM 9.0 sp2. when I click on the node all I see it monitoring is network latency, I can click on node details but the "list resources" option is greyed out. also when I create a map and add the node to th map, you can't drill down to get any specifics like packet loss, average response time, etc and machine type is listed as unknown.

thanks

0 Kudos
Level 8

I really wanted to setup RSS feeds on our Orion home page but Orion did not provide a way to easily do this.  I found a way to do this by adding a custom HTML resource to the page and using the RSS widget from yourminis.com.  To do this just go to: http://www.yourminis.com/minis/yourminis/yourminis/mini:rsscontainer   Set your widget parameters the way you want (color, size, title, content, etc...) then copy the code unto the custom HTML resource and voila!  You now have RSS feeds on your Orion web site.

Another thing I've done is setup a Menu item that the status of all of our IP subnets.  I did this by using Engineer's Toolkit's IP Address Management tool.  I have it setup to publish all of the subnets to a web page every couple of minutes.  Then I added the IP Address management web page URL to an Orion menu item.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Graph enhancements (especially for custom pollers)
- set x axis range and step interval. It can be difficult to interpret graphical information when only the polled values are displayed rather than an allowed range. Allow an option to dynamically expand a graph beyond the given range if polled values exceed the configured range.
- ability to include more than one poller in a graph
- ability to include a legend with poller information: min/avg/max/current/95th percentil/etc
- ability to define reference lines: example - solid line at interface speed, warning/critical threshold, etc
- currently can bulk modify custom poller graphs, want to be able to override template for single graph
- ability to label units on vertical access
- modifying date range intelligently modifies sample interval to only include acceptable ranges
- ability to monitor "real-time" (specify shorter interval) poller output without requiring activex or the engineers toolset.
I come to Orion from Cacti and the graphing in Orion leaves much to be desired in comparison. The graphs are more difficult to interpret, more difficult to customize, some customizations are not possible, do not allow logical groupings of multiple pollers in a single graph, and quite frankly don't have the same level of finish as the ones in cacti.

Alerting enhancements
- integrate syslog/trap alerts so that node information is available
- ability to include trap details as a variable in alert messages, instead of entire message (sms limits characters and pertinent info cannot always be displayed)
- allow a trap to be cleared by a corresponding trap within a given interval (i.e. I don't need a page if my ups drops to battery power for 1s, but would like a page if service is not restored within a longer window. The ups will send a trap when it drops to battery power and when it returns to main power. I'd like the ability to clear the alert before any action is taken if that second alert is seen in time).
- integrate syslog/trap alerts so that they can insert NPM Events into the web interface
- Baseline alerts: compare to last poll, last x polls, last hour at this time, yesterday at this time, last week at this time, arbitrary time. % change, amount of change.
- Ensure that modifications to alerts take effect immediately... that random delay thing is a real pita
- discarded traps are not processed for following alerts
- ability to create an alert quickly and easily for a class of devices or a single device by clicking on any given graph.
- (Added 11/13) Allow the creation of a full set of alert actions after x time for alert escalation. This could be approximated by triggering an alert if a condition exists for a short period of time and then delaying other actions, and creating a second alert that waits a longer period of time before it is triggered.

Ability to schedule recurring windows where a device is not managed: devices shut down on weekends, rebooted at a regular interval, etc.

Tabbed views for departmental access. Each dept has similar devices and would like to quickly and easily group them, but still have access to all departments (if allowed)

Suppress events - we have wireless backhauls that report an interface speed change when they change modulation. This is constantly dumped into the event log for NPM. I expect this and don't want to see those messages since they only clutter the display. 

Force basic categories: for example I have one or two devices that despite having the same hardware and firmware and configuration are not properly categorized with the correct vendor. I would like to be able to force this in those cases to make up for vendor shortcomings.

Adjust interface utilization percentage graphs to account for the fact that links may not have the same speed in both directions (wireless for example). RX percentage below is actually around 80%, not 40%.

Adding another one: A node menu that is accessible from every page, drop down, pane on one side or another, however it fits. It is time consuming to drill down into a node, then go back to Home, expand the tree, search out your device, click on it, etc... Maybe an intelligent browse to selection that would allow you to enter a node name or IP, etc and orion would intelligently provide suggestions to finish off the provided information to allow you to pull up the correct node - similar to the search suggestions provided in firefox for example. That would allow a quick link to any device from any page in the web interface.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Good suggestions. 

0 Kudos
Level 9

Tabbed Views !!.. that's a very good one... There should be a Tabbed View in the same page where we could Select which Group Nodes we would like to see (grouping nodes before with a custom field, of course).. All this, without changing to a complety different web-page.

Maybe both:  Vertical (on the left) and Horizontal (on top) for being able to group like this:

On Left: Tabbed by CustomProperty1

On Top: Tabbed by CustomProperty2

--------------------

All this besides changing behavior of The MENU... instead of leaving current "Top 10" Tab.. you could go to "Admin" Tab, make changes.. submit.. and then return to "Top 10" Tab... and so on..     Just an Idea.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Tabbed views in the Node Details and Interface Details pages would also be very nice to have and would eliminate a lot of unwanted scrolling.

0 Kudos
Level 9

It would be very helpful to make multiple custom mibs showin one chart. Example: QoS groups and then the DSCP within the group and then the usage of each.

A second example: being able to chart a custome mib for services on a device such as a windows server looking for service 443 or 80 or some such. If the service is not "alive", the chart reflects that and an alert is sent. (Windows is a good platform to start on.

Make custom MIBs much easier to use on the Node page for the WEB display.

Better Netflow display as well.

0 Kudos