This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do you customize Orion?

FormerMember
FormerMember
The Orion product team is working on enhancing the Orion web console. One of the areas we want to look at is customization. We want to know more about what our customers do regarding this functionality?

How do you customize Orion? When you customize Orion, what's the problem you are trying to solve? What do you want to do that you cannot do?

Denny LeCompte
Sr. Product Manager, Orion
SolarWinds
  • I'm going to attempt to write some code into Orion to show the MAC address of connected devices to our switches along with their IP addresses. I believe the 'Switch Port Mapper' in the Toolset does something to this effect.

I also plan on writing a custom page that'll show the status of my backup jobs (Symantec Backup Exec). Right now I have Backup Exec sending SNMP Traps to Orion but I'm looking for something similar to the Backup Exec 'Job Monitor' tab's 'Job History' section.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

When we setup the Top XX endpoint, Top xx Protocols to be displayed on the NetFlow Traffic Analysis Summary page they do not show up even though we have it configured to do so.

• Here's a few for starters;

I'd like my team to be able to manage & unmanage nodes &/or interfaces from the Web Console.

Create reports using the Web Console.
    Publish Report Writer reports as a graph & publish multiple data lines on one Graph.

Use AD groups via domain passthru authentication to manage users.
    Managing 100's of individual Orion users is a huge task. AFAIK, no one here has been able to get Windows AD groups working for authentication.

-=Cheers=-
    NG

~seek & ye shall find---> [url="http://www4.solarwinds.net/SolarWindsForum/search.asp"] <---no need to wait for answers~
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    It would be nice to be able to "drag n drop" any orion chart/node from one page to another to add it permenantly to you site. That would avoid all of the clicking and set up you would normally have to perform to add something.
  • 1) I would like to have an easy mechanism to control not only the menu bars, but the tabs at the top of the page as well. As it is today, we have created a lot of different groups of views for various functional areas of our network, and it would be nice to be able to tie them to tabs at the top of the page for easy retrieval, while still having the menu bars on the pages associated with each tab for granularity. Furthermore, this could also be used to facilitate connections to other web-based apps or documentation repositories, and would better position Orion as a single touch point for all monitoring and management needs. We do some of this today with links that open in a new window, but it would be nice to be able to do this from a single window.

I've seen other apps with this type of functionality, and the thing I disliked most is the fact that they opened a new session whenever a different tab was selected. I don't know if there's any way to have each tab (session) remain memory resident, so that one can return right to the point at which they were previously.

This is how I would like to eventually be able to access Cirrus, but along with that comes another thing I would like to see, which is for Orion and Cirrus to share a common database. This may just be wishful thinking. emoticons_happy.png

2) When managing a large number of users, it would be quite helpful to be able to assign those users to groups, so that all the parameters such as account limitations, view selections, and such can be controlled from a single place for everyone in the group.

3) The ability to see who's logged in now, rather than just the time of last log in would be nice as well.

Vic Cato
    Technical Lead - Network Operations
    Georgia Pacific
  • Using the Custom Property editor I have added a "notes" field for Nodes and Interfaces, and added them to the respective views.  The purpose of this is to allow my NOC clients to add information pertaining to status.  I have also set up Advanced Alerts to trigger off of keywords in "notes"; such as the word "removed."  When a node has the word removed in the notes field an email is sent to myself and my backup Orion admin letting us know to remove the node from Orion. The interface notes field is predominantly used for recording Service provider ticket numbers and at the end of the month it is also useful in validating SLAs with the carrier from a MTTR vs. ticket perspective.

Additionally the notes are extremely helpful for the NOC staff in preventing multiple analysts from working on the same issue at the same time; they just put their name in the notes to indicate they are performing the initial problem determination.  My biggest demand was for the NOC to be able to Acknowledge down devices/interfaces, as a former manager of the NOC, I have first hand experience with that and I couldn't even begin to count how many times someone acknowledged an issue yet nothing was done... The standard answer was "I took another call." (etc...) 

The one downside to the notes field is that I had to check the Allow View Customization box for the NOC staff.  Not only did that take a while in the Account List (I miss the old Account Manager on the server), but it opened Pandora's box in that the Edit Resource Icon is now usable from a NOC client perspective.  Sure enough, even with graphical instructions,  the very first person clicked that instead of the Update Notes button.

• Nice work jtimes, any chance you could upload your custom code to the 'Content Sharing Zone'?
  • I warming up to the Content Sharing Zone, still a little cumbersome :)

• When viewing specific nodes (our switches) I would love to have the MAC address and the IP addresses their associated with linked to the port. I plan on doing this myself (if I have to) but it would cut into my Counter-Strike time and I would rather not do that. :-)

• My work around for the visible Edit Resource Icon:

Backup the existing image first: C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds\NetPerfMon\images\SmallButton.Edit.gif
    Then replace it with a tiny 5x5 pixel transparent image.

5x5 is pretty hard to hit, but its still there for the Admin