This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do I start re organizing my solarwinds environment to be the Parent Child dependency

My Predecessor did me no favors, so here is the question.....How do I start re organizing my solarwinds environment to be the Parent Child dependency   

• I believe what you are asking is in the Administrative Settings under "Manage Dependencies", there is an option you can turn on where it allows you to "Calculate Dependencies Automatically".   You can also manage them manually if you want in the same place.

Some might call the topology calculations it does somewhat analogous to the dependencies, you could probably fashion something to use topology rather than dependencies if you wanted. 

• I've always found this method from   to be really powerful in terms of being able to do the dependencies via automation.  His explanation is pretty good and the method is easy enough to follow.

If you are into scripting you can build up a lot of automation from there.  I tweaked that model for my use cases so I didn't use the whole separate database thing and simplify it a bit so my scripts can actually automatically identify the edge devices (usually routers) for each site, and if there are multiple for the same site then it creates a group containing them all and sets the custom property for all the children automatically to that group. I've used variations on the idea at many companies and in one case I had it automatically doing automated dependency mapping for a company with over 300 branch/affiliate offices and it worked great without anyone having to fuss with it. MUCH better than maintaining them by hand in the GUI.  The key thing was just to be able to identify what the edge devices we wanted actually were, we had a pretty limited selection of machine types that were always our edges so that's what I keyed into for my automation.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/SAM-Documents/Automatic-Dependencies-Based-On-Custom-Properties-Node-Location/ta-p/516976