cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krfitzgerald
Level 10

How do I setup alerts for hardware failure?

how do I setup alerts for things like bad hard drives, fans, etc in NPM?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
ChrystalT
Level 13

Re: How do I setup alerts for hardware failure?

You are most likely looking at setting up Universal Device pollers to pull down the information, and then you can set up alerts on those UnDPs.  I would recommend doing MIB walks to find the OIDs that you want from those devices which you need to monitor this information on.  You can then use the OID to create an UnDP.  When you get as far as the alert, you can drop down the list of properties that can be alerted on and shoulf find Universal Device Poller listed there.  Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek
0 Kudos
krfitzgerald
Level 10

I've never done any of that. Is there a training video on this or can you give me a walk through on setting up device pollers? thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ChrystalT
Level 13

Here is a link with an intro to UnDP: Create a Universal Device Poller (UnDP) in the Orion Platform - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and ...

I would also recommend checking the content exchange on thwack to see if someone has already created the poller you are looking for.  They can be downloaded and then imported into the UnDP.

As far as doing a MIB walk, there is a MIB walk tool in the Engineer's toolset, and if you do not own a copy you can always download the eval to make use of the tools while you set these pollers up.  It is very simple and straightforward which you will see when you go to use it.  If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask. 

Chrystal Taylor | Head Geek
0 Kudos
nrms
Level 12

What hardware is it you're monitoring, particularly the make and model of the host system - e.g. is a Dell Servers, HP ProLiant, etc?

If it's HP ProLiant and you have the SIM agents installed I may be able to help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
krfitzgerald
Level 10

some are but not all

0 Kudos
netlogix
Level 15

I know you are asking for NPM, but if you have SAM 5.0 (was APM 4.x), it does that right out of the box.

0 Kudos
krfitzgerald
Level 10

That's interesting. I'm working on getting a demo now. Has anyone found a workaround to get this to work in NPM?

0 Kudos
krfitzgerald
Level 10

can you give me an example of a hard drive failure alert? I have found the Custom Node Poller in the top drop down and then in the simple condition I can see Custom Node Pollers with options. I can see status and when I select status and leave is equal to I get a fill in the blank. Should I put failed or down or ? Am I going in the right direction? How can I make it for failed hard drive, or failed fan, or something else?

0 Kudos
krfitzgerald
Level 10

anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos