cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

How close do the additional polling engines have to be to the main NPM poller and database server? In other words could I have the main poller in Atlanta and an additional poller in NY

How close do the additional polling engines have to be to the main NPM poller and database server?  In other words could I have the main poller in Atlanta and an additional poller in NY.  Several posts have made reference to pollers in remote locations but I have never seen any official statement from Solarwinds.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 9

In general, you can physically put all the pieces in separate locations.  The big issue is the connectivity between them.  For instance, we have additional pollers in separate states with devices all around the country.  It works for us, but the communications between the pollers and DB/Main NPM Poller all ride on our national backbone, so we have good connectivity.  This issue is further compounded by how much is being polled by each additional poller and how frequently.  However, in my experience, most of the issue comes down to the connectivity.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Will depend greatly on the network connection you have between the two.

High latency, highly utilized sub T1 link?  Probably not a good idea.   80 ms, lightly used link?  No problem.

The official specs are less than 300 ms.

However, I would certainly install the Microsoft Message Queuing (MSMQ) on the remote poller.  If you lose your link, it will continue to hold your data for a short time.

Also, to be especially aware of overloading that poller, since it is remote located.

Credit to Pacetti for his "Stupid Poller Tricks"  -- here is a good guide for you:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/38-39277/ScalabilityEngineGuidelines.pdf

0 Kudos