This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can we monitor live socket connections?

Client has an IT System where application functions are quite distributed among several servers and these servers keep making several socket connections to each other to have regular application data exchange as well as do other activities.

Most of these connections are critical in nature and when these connections don't occur (for various reasons) it initiates a situation that leads to cascaded system failures.

Simply monitoring whether a server responds to specific ports/sockets isn't practical 'cause a port being up doesn't mean much unless required socket connection is established between required hosts. For performance and security purpose, these connections are at times limited to only single connection or allowed to be established only from specific hosts.

Client right now performs random check manually by running netstat command and see if the required connections are established or not.

Their requirement is, since Solarwinds NPM & SAM is monitoring all the windows hosts, is it possible to monitor these live socket connections and based on the findings take necessary actions.

• Unfortunately, I can't give you the exact answer for this, but I would think this could be done via a powershell script monitor in SAM.  I would think that the script could perform the following:

1. Run a netstat type command and record results in a .csv(or similar) file.
    2. Read the .csv file and find particular values(socket connections you want monitored)
    3. If required values aren't found, mark component as down(thus triggering the SAM component down Alert)

This link has powershell commands that may help you accomplish this:

http://www.kennethghartman.com/log-connections-powershell-script/

Hopefully, someone else with more powershell knowledge can chime in here.

Regards,

Parker