This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

High Availability Setup advice

Hi

I am planning to create an HA for my environment and would like to have advice on what method would be best to get it done.

On my current setup i have a single primary server running on Orion Platform 2017.1.3 and Windows server 2012 R2 OS. Plan is to create an HA server first, then upgrade the product modules and add Additional Polling servers.

I am bit confused on IP and VIP's. I have read the documents where there is one scenario in which you can use Primary server IP as a Virtual IP and Second scenario where Primary server will be same and new IP will assigned for VIP and HA Server.

I would like to know which scenario would be better considering minimum configuration or changes needs to be done on the solarwinds side, firewall rules, future scalabilty and also device being polled (SNMP, WMI, Orion Web Console Access, etc.,). Also is it good to have HA server on same subnet or on different (Say different Vlan).

• You need 3 IPs for HA. One virtual that you define in the HA settings and 2 physical for your servers. The vip is just a secondary IP that is switched on once a server becomes active. The physical IP is used as Heatbeat.
    I would use the current IP as vip. Like you mentioned it should prevent Firewall and config issues.
    Use the same Subnet for HA in this scenario.
  •   Thank you for your reply. If i use the curernt IP as VIP and assign new IP to the primary server do i need to have downtime or is there a method we can do it with small or no downtime. Also do i need to run configuration wizard on the primary server after i assign it a new IP?

• I think you just need to restart the Orion services in the case of an IP Change. It should reflect in the DBO.Engines and DBO.Website table of your OrionDB.
    I haven’t tested this...so I could be wrong and you need to run the config wizard.
  • Extraordinary occupation directly here. I really delighted in what you needed to state. Continue heading since you certainly carry another voice to this subject. Relatively few individuals would state what you have said and still make it fascinating. Appropriately, at any rate I am intrigued. Cant stand by to see a greater amount of this from you.