cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Hide From Top 10?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know a way to hide a particular volume from the Top 10 for disk usage?

Example: you want to monitor/alert on physical memory of all nodes, but some have a static high amount (94%). You don't want known values clogging up your Top 10 screen.

Is there any way to hide just that volume on those specific nodes while still being able to alert/report on that volume?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

no, no, don't be scared... be excited. These queries allow you to build your environment the way YOU want it

Here is a few examples:

Filter out some nodes by name:

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('Server1','Server2','Server3')

Filter out some nodes by ID (you can get ID from the Node's URL):

Volumes.NodeID NOT IN ('1','2','3')

Filter out some Volumes by on Name:

Volumes.Caption NOT IN ('Volume1','Volume2','Volume3')

Include only Physical Disks:

Volumes.VolumeType = 'Fixed Disk'

Include only Physical Memory:

Volumes.VolumeType = 'RAM'

To join them - use AND or OR statements, for example:

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('Server1','Server2','Server3') AND Volumes.VolumeType = 'RAM' AND Volumes.VolumePercentUsed > 95

P.S. You might be asking now - "How do I know that Physical Disk" is actually called 'Fixed Disk' and Physical Memory is referred to as 'RAM'. Your answer will be in the following SQL tables - just open them up with SQL Management Studio and check what values are used there for various properties (columns) - then use these values to build your filters:

NODES: SolarWindsOrion.dbo.NodesData

VOLUMES: SolarWindsOrion.dbo.Volumes

Note: For older versions of SolarWinds (prior 11.5) NODES table is called SolarWindsOrion.dbo.Nodes and this needs to be reflected in SQL filter as well, for example: Nodes.Caption Not IN ('bla-bla-bla')

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 8

Thank you for all the help guys!

Just to close the loop on this, this is the filter statement that worked for the original question. Unfortunately im not enough of a statement guy to quite know why it works... but it works.

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('SERVER1','SERVER2','SERVER3','SERVER4') OR Volumes.VolumeType NOT IN ('RAM')

as more known static servers show up, ill add them to the not in list.

Again, Thank you for all the help.

0 Kudos

Basically, what you are saying in the above filter is:

"Hey, Mr. SolarWinds, would you please show me Volume Utilisation if EITHER Node Name not one of those I have listed OR Volume Type is not RAM. And, yes, only show me top 10 of them . Thank You"

Here is a follow-up question for you my friend: What will happen if on Server3 for example you have Physical Disk running low space? Do you want this to show up in the list? ... hint: based on your filter - it will. Likewise, what will happen if memory type is "cache" - do you want this to be seen? Do you want this to be seen for Server1-4 as well?

Below would be my suggested query instead:

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('SERVER1','SERVER2','SERVER3','SERVER4') AND Volumes.VolumeType IN ('Fixed Disk')

- this will only report on Physical Disks and will never show listed servers.

Level 8

I was afraid it was going to be query based.

I'm attempting to hide things that have 'SpecificName' and VolumeType is Physical memory, but have so far been unable.
I would need to do this for 20+ nodes which is why I was hoping there was a setting change I could make, but assistance with this filter statement would be great as well.

0 Kudos

no, no, don't be scared... be excited. These queries allow you to build your environment the way YOU want it

Here is a few examples:

Filter out some nodes by name:

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('Server1','Server2','Server3')

Filter out some nodes by ID (you can get ID from the Node's URL):

Volumes.NodeID NOT IN ('1','2','3')

Filter out some Volumes by on Name:

Volumes.Caption NOT IN ('Volume1','Volume2','Volume3')

Include only Physical Disks:

Volumes.VolumeType = 'Fixed Disk'

Include only Physical Memory:

Volumes.VolumeType = 'RAM'

To join them - use AND or OR statements, for example:

NodesData.Caption NOT IN ('Server1','Server2','Server3') AND Volumes.VolumeType = 'RAM' AND Volumes.VolumePercentUsed > 95

P.S. You might be asking now - "How do I know that Physical Disk" is actually called 'Fixed Disk' and Physical Memory is referred to as 'RAM'. Your answer will be in the following SQL tables - just open them up with SQL Management Studio and check what values are used there for various properties (columns) - then use these values to build your filters:

NODES: SolarWindsOrion.dbo.NodesData

VOLUMES: SolarWindsOrion.dbo.Volumes

Note: For older versions of SolarWinds (prior 11.5) NODES table is called SolarWindsOrion.dbo.Nodes and this needs to be reflected in SQL filter as well, for example: Nodes.Caption Not IN ('bla-bla-bla')

View solution in original post

Thanks Alex!

Ill try it out later today

0 Kudos
  • Add "Top XX Volumes by Disk Space Used" resource to your page
  • Change maximum number of volumes to display to 10
  • Go to EDIT and do the following... as per screenshot
  • Also, use "Show Filter Examples" for more inspirational ideas

SnipImage.JPG

0 Kudos
Level 13

You can go under "Edit" On the report and create a advanced filter, Here is an example: Caption Not Like 'test*' This will make it so any nodes beginning with test will not be shown on that report. Hope this helps ^^

0 Kudos