This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help with 'Volume ID'

Hello,

I am trying to create alerts for disk usage, we have some created from before and they use Volume ID 76, 121, 122. How do I find the volume ID of our disks? I can get the 8 digit serial numbers but these ID's already in use confuse me. Any help is appropriated.

• Using the volumeid's is probably a bad idea.  Solarwinds generates a new volumeid for each disk that gets added to monitoring.  You can see them by going to the volume details page and the last numbers in the URL string would be your volumeid.  A year from now people would be hard pressed to figure out what volumeid #2943 is referring to, but if you just reference the node name and volume caption in the alert they can just look at it and know.

• Easiest way would be to create a Volume Status Report, use Report Writer and select Volume Name plus Volume ID plus Node Name to find out which Volume are they referring to and on which node.

Hope it helps ...............

• VolumeID.JPG

1. Create a Current Status of Nodes, Volumes Report

2. Caption mentioned on select fields is -> Volume Caption

• I agree with mesverrum​, we should try and keep the alerts as generic as possible and shouldn't hard code them (I mean like the one you have -> alert on Volume ID), my posts will help you in finding out the volume id that you asked for......

• Sorry how do I access Volume Details page? I created a report of Volume status but that does not look like it will help. Also it does not show one of the drives i want to monitor, do I need to add the drive of an existing node?

SW.jpg

• I created a Volume status report, these volumes show the SN not the ID being used as you can see. Also this report does not show a specific drive for one of the servers that is already being monitored. So I assume i have to add that drive manually?

SW.jpg

• Ok I got the volume IDs from solarwinds (it was in settings...). As for adding a HDD to be monitored on an existing node. I can add a new node with IP but how do I add a HDD within a node? For example from the image i uploaded, I wanted to add drive E for RLIBACKUPEXEC02. How do I do that for it to show up here?

• is drive E even being monitored in Orion?

Save the report created and go to RLIBACKUPEXEC02, run list resources and make sure the drive E is ticked.

Once added in Orion, wait for a few polls until Orion has data for this drive. Run the report again and you should be able to see the Drive E in the report.

• From that node's details page, or from manage nodes there is a button called list resources that will browse the node to figure out what is available to monitor, then you just check the boxes for the disks and interfaces you want to monitor

• So in the 'List resources', I do not see the harddrive I want to add. Only the two volumes that are already being monitored. All the volumes are checked to be monitored. I've tried rediscovering the node as well.SW.jpg