cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Has anyone combined a ticket field with a node name and status field.....

Jump to solution

Has anyone combined a ticket field with a node name and status field so that a down staus node can have OPS input a ticket number and have that reflected in network summary for all to see?

Such as the figment below ......

-Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution
The report includes a status icon, the node name, and the text associated with the custom property. I'm trying to attach a zip file to this message which should have everything you need to make this happen, if you so choose. Within the zip file, you will find a snapshot of what it looks like on the web, a copy of the actual Report Writer file, and a doc file which gives a little more detailed explanation of how it works. Now, let's see if I can attach it...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
54 Replies

Searching forum I cannot find the v10 code for this type of customization.  I ahve been able to piece together this code, but the custom property field is not returing:

<td class="Property" valign="middle" width="20">
   <a href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%# Eval("NodeID")%>">
        <%# Eval("SiteCode")%>
   </a> 
      </td>

"SiteCode" is the Custom Property Field name. 

This is the error I am receiving: 

The "Down Nodes" resource threw an exception..
DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name 'SiteCode'.

I apolgoize if this answer is posted somewhere else, however, I cannot find anything matching this.  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Been awhile since this there was an update on this. NOW, v10.1.3 is there a way to do this? Out of the box there is a dynamic notes field in the Alerts section, where one can add notes, but the data disappears when the alert resets.

Is there a way to save this data?

Does one need to be Admin or Allow customization to enter data?

I am looking for a way for people to be able to enter notes on the Nodes with Problems Resource.

0 Kudos

I found a work around, with my lack of programming language...

I created a Custom Property, 'Issues' and in the node details was able to add a resource to only display that custom property.  This gave the NOC techs a way to click the node and update the field.  They have no admin rights, nor node update rights.  I did give the ability to clear alerts, etc.  They can update that field, and confirm the entry.  That field is updated and I then created a report that shows any "non-blank" entries for that custom property.  I then added that report to their summary page.  

Kind of a backwards way to do it, but works...

0 Kudos

Oh and after the node service is restored, the fields clear out so next time it pops up you will see it needs a ticket number and comments added!

I had implemented a CustomProperty way back in the 7x NPM but eventually removed it because I couldn't figure out how to clear the "ticket/comments" fields after a node came back up.  Each time a node went back down, the "old" custom property data was still in the database and it was causing confusion.  I might have to give this another go if your process actually clears the information on an UP event! 

0 Kudos

I had implemented a CustomProperty way back in the 7x NPM but eventually removed it because I couldn't figure out how to clear the "ticket/comments" fields after a node came back up.  Each time a node went back down, the "old" custom property data was still in the database and it was causing confusion.  I might have to give this another go if your process actually clears the information on an UP event! 

My workaround to this, is to mail out a weekly report to the whole team listing any node with a comment assigned to it, including the current status.
This allows everyone to review their comments & update/delete them, as the case may be.

I also add the comments field to many of my scheduled Report Writer reports, as this can provide valuable additional outage info to many reports.

0 Kudos

I made a copy of 03-DownNodes.Resource located in your "...\NetPerfMon\Resources\1-1-SummaryReports" and called it 03-DownNodesAndStatusNotNull.Resource.  I then edited the file using the suggestions from Vic and Network Guru and added my own functionality.  This will not only display the nodes that are not up, but also nodes with comments (specifically NOT NULL, and NOT ' '<--- leading space issue in the post that someone has got to fix) in the Status_Info custom property.  This is useful for monitoring unstable circuits, as well as for preventing stale information from being stored in the database. You can also create an alert suppression for nodes that have data in the status_info which will prevent multiple alerts for bouncing circuits.  Once we have verified that the circuit is up and stable, we close our ticket in our ticketing system and then clear out the status_info field.  After you have your new web resource, you will need to add it to your new custom view (it will be listed as Down Nodes and Non-Blank Status_Info under Summary Reports.  Here is the content of the file with points of interest in bold (I will try to upload it as well):

----------------------- cut --------------------------------

<!-- Title=Down Nodes and Non-Blank Status_Info -->
<!-- Level=7 -->
<!--#include Virtual=/NetPerfMon/scripts/Resource.asp -->
<%
 Title=Resource.Title
 If Len(Title)=0 Then Title="Down Nodes and Non-Blank Status_Info"

SubTitle="The Following Nodes are not Responding"
 if Len(Resource.SubTitle)>0 Then SubTitle=Resource.SubTitle
 HelpPage="DownNodes"
 EditButton="/NetPerfMon/Resources/Filter.Edit.asp?ResourceID=" & Resource.ResourceID & "&ViewID=" & ViewID
 DoResourceHeader

Set SQLResource = NetPerfMon.NewSQLResource
 SQLResource.SQL="Select * From Nodes Where (Status<>'1' OR NOT(Status_Info = NULL) OR NOT(Status_Info =' ')) Order By Caption"
 SQLResource.Filter= Resource.GetProperty("Filter")
 SQLResource.Execute
%>

<table border="0" cellPadding="2" cellSpacing="0" width="100%">

<tr>
        <td class="ReportHeader" vAlign="center" width="20">Node</td>
        <td class="ReportHeader" vAlign="center"> </td>
        <td class="ReportHeader" vAlign="center">Status Info</td>
    </tr>

<%    Do While Not SQLResource.EOF    %>
<tr>
    <td class="Property" vAlign="center" width="20"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("StatusLED;SmallIcon")%> 
</td>
    <td class="Property"><a <%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeParamString")%>  href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty(" mce_href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeID")%>"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("Caption")%></a> </td>

<td class="Property"><a href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty(" mce_href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeID")%>"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("Status_Info")%></a> </td>

</tr>

<%  
  SQLResource.MoveNext
 Loop
%>
</table>
<br>

------------------------------- end cut ----------------------------------

0 Kudos

We chose to go the route of making the clearing of notes in this custom property a manual process. This way, you're not left with stale, hidden information that will pop back up later. This also serves the purpose of keeping up with long-term or chronic issues, as well as bouncing devices. Once the issue has been resolved, the tech who was working on it will go in and clear the text.

The mechanism we use to display the info on the web, which is a report from Report Writer, includes all the logic necessary to facilitate this. I don't remember off the top of my head if the out-of-the-box "Down Nodes" resource includes the ability to apply filters (I assume it does), but if so, you may be able to build the same logic into it as well.

0 Kudos
NG beat me to it...
0 Kudos

Extremely useful information Vic!  Thank you for the detail and time in your response!

0 Kudos

I've done something similar - I added a Comments field which can be updated from the Node Details page.
These comments get displayed in the Nodes Down property at the top of the Home page.

Here is the code to add this field to the Down Nodes resource here:

C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds\NetPerfMon\Resources\1-1-SummaryReports\DownNodes.resource:

%>

<table border="0" cellPadding="2" cellSpacing="0" width="100%">

<tr>
        <td class="ReportHeader" vAlign="center" width="20">Node</td>
        <td class="ReportHeader" vAlign="center">Comments</td>
    </tr>

<%    Do While Not SQLResource.EOF    %>
<tr>
    <td class="Property" vAlign="center" width="20"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("StatusLED;SmallIcon")%> 
</td>
    <td class="Property"><a <%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeParamString")%>  href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeID")%>"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("Caption")%></a> </td>

<td class="Property"><a href="https://thwack.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/View.asp?View=NodeDetails&NetObject=N:<%=SQLResource.GetProperty("NodeID")%>"><%=SQLResource.GetProperty("Comments")%></a> </td>

</tr>

<%        

This is what it looks like:

Bingo Guru!  Much thanks to you and Vic!   

0 Kudos

My teams will be very happy to see they can finally update the web......THANKS MUCH!!!

0 Kudos
Level 8

Wow.  What an awesome idea.  I've love to know if it is possible.

0 Kudos