cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Has anyone combined a ticket field with a node name and status field.....

Jump to solution

Has anyone combined a ticket field with a node name and status field so that a down staus node can have OPS input a ticket number and have that reflected in network summary for all to see?

Such as the figment below ......

-Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution
The report includes a status icon, the node name, and the text associated with the custom property. I'm trying to attach a zip file to this message which should have everything you need to make this happen, if you so choose. Within the zip file, you will find a snapshot of what it looks like on the web, a copy of the actual Report Writer file, and a doc file which gives a little more detailed explanation of how it works. Now, let's see if I can attach it...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
54 Replies
Level 13

Well... Kinda...

We have a report which shows all nodes that are currently unreachable, and a custom property text field which can be edited by our Ops folks from the Node Details view. This report is included as a resource on the "Home" summary view, and can include ticket numbers, or any other pertinent info. We also created one for interface events, which currently applies to interfaces that are “Down” or “Unknown”, and also interfaces where the average number of receive errors for the last hour exceeds a certain threshold. Is that kinda what you're looking for?

Vic

0 Kudos

I believe that's close to what I'm looking for.   Does the resource on the home page correlate with a down node or is it all together a seperate information field? 

Thanks

Ron

0 Kudos
The report includes a status icon, the node name, and the text associated with the custom property. I'm trying to attach a zip file to this message which should have everything you need to make this happen, if you so choose. Within the zip file, you will find a snapshot of what it looks like on the web, a copy of the actual Report Writer file, and a doc file which gives a little more detailed explanation of how it works. Now, let's see if I can attach it...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Wow - now that's a detailed writeup - nice work Vic!

I would be interested in the code you used to add comments to interfaces as well.
Could you post that as well?

-=Thanks=- 

0 Kudos

I would be interested in the code you used to add comments to interfaces as well.

NG... Sure thing, I'll do my best to put it together within the next few days.
0 Kudos

NG... Sure thing, I'll do my best to put it together within the next few days.
I put a little something together explaining how to edit custom properties for interfaces via the web and placed it here, in the Content Sharing Zone.

I tried to explain it well enough so that anyone with basic knowledge of Orion administration can understand and utilize the information, while also not making it too detailed and convoluted. Now, let's see if I succeeded... 🙂

Keep in mind that through much trial and error, I simply stumbled across how to make this work. Ya see, I ain't dat smrt.
0 Kudos

I put a little something together explaining how to edit custom properties for interfaces via the web and placed it here, in the Content Sharing Zone.

I tried to explain it well enough so that anyone with basic knowledge of Orion administration can understand and utilize the information, while also not making it too detailed and convoluted. Now, let's see if I succeeded... 🙂

Keep in mind that through much trial and error, I simply stumbled across how to make this work. Ya see, I ain't dat smrt. 😞

Thanks Vic,

I had a brief look at it. I like your logic, this will come in handy for other things as well.
If I can figure out how to list the Interface custom property in the Web admin GUI, I'll post it in the CSZ.

0 Kudos

Thanks Vic,

I had a brief look at it. I like your logic, this will come in handy for other things as well.
If I can figure out how to list the Interface custom property in the Web admin GUI, I'll post it in the CSZ.

Thanks NG. Now, If I can just figure out what's happening with Torrie's config...
0 Kudos

Torrie,  

Maybe that the Admin account is the only account with the Allow View Customization box checked?

0 Kudos

Torrie,  

Maybe that the Admin account is the only account with the Allow View Customization box checked?

John,

I think that's why it's working for Admin, but it should also work for users with the ability to "Allow Event Clearing", even though they don't have the priv to customize views. That is, as long as the hack is in place to allow it.
0 Kudos

Guys thanks for you help. It was the EditCustomProperty.Update.asp. I didn't modify that file because all of my users should be able to edit. It works on both versions 8.1 as well as 7.5.

0 Kudos
YAY!!! 🙂

Yeah, if you want all your users to be able to edit this info, then you don't need the hack, but you would have to give them the view customization priv, and that may not be a good thing.
0 Kudos
YAY!!! 🙂

Yeah, if you want all your users to be able to edit this info, then you don't need the hack, but you would have to give them the view customization priv, and that may not be a good thing. 🙂

I am having the same problem, once I allow edit customization everything works with no issues. This is not something I want to leave this way. 🙂

Has anyone else had this problem? or figured out how to get it to work?

0 Kudos

YAY!!! 🙂

Yeah, if you want all your users to be able to edit this info, then you don't need the hack, but you would have to give them the view customization priv, and that may not be a good thing. 🙂

I am having the same problem, once I allow edit customization everything works with no issues. This is not something I want to leave this way. 🙂

Has anyone else had this problem? or figured out how to get it to work?

Did you implement the change to the EditCustomProperty.Update.ASP as outlined in the README file that I attached? This only allows people who are allowed to clear events to have the ability to update the text in the custom property, but they can't make other changes (with the exception of the ability to clear events).

0 Kudos

This is my update page

<!--#include Virtual=/NetPerfMon/scripts/NetPerfMon.asp -->

<%
 SelectWeb "NetPerfMon"
 VerifyLogin "USER"

Dim ViewID
 Dim NetObject
 Dim NetDevice
 Dim PropertyName
 Dim PropertyValue

ViewID = Request("ViewID")
 NetObject = Request("NetObject")
 Set NetDevice = NetPerfMon.GetNetObject(NetObject)

If NetPerfMon.CurrentAccount.AllowEventClear Then
     PropertyName = Request("PropertyName")
     PropertyValue = Request("PropertyValue")
     NetDevice.SetProperty PropertyName, PropertyValue

End If

Set NetDevice = Nothing

Response.Redirect "/NetPerfMon/View.asp?ViewID=" & ViewID & "&NetObject=" & NetObject
%>

The only thing I can think of, is that my account is based on NT authentication, there is no local account, there is a local group that they belong to.

group name..

es\everyone

0 Kudos

Yeap... You will need to have specific accounts either for those who you want to have the priv, or those who you don't want to have the priv (whichever is less). For example, let's say you only have 5 people who need to update this custom property via the web, and 500 people who don't. It would be easier to create 5 specific accounts for users who have the priv, and leave it disabled for the es\Everyone account. The same thing works in reverse. You can still configure the specific users to use Windows pass-thru authentication (for their specific domain accounts), and not the domain\Everyone account.

0 Kudos

😞

Well I have about 100 people that need to have the update field and the rotate frequently, so administrating the account is a pain.

any other suggestion? I can grant everyone permission to update but do not want to allow them to customize.

Any other way anyone can thing of doing this?

0 Kudos

Sure... Put them in a different domain. 🙂

OK, I know... Not funny. 😞

Seriously, short of adding 100 specific accounts, or some other means to delineate responsibilities, I'm afraid I'm almost out of ideas at the moment. The only other thing that immediately comes to mind involves creating a single, local user account for the folks who need the additional priv, and have them login with the associated credentials. The "Node Details" view associated with this account would have the "Edit Custom Property" resource, but others would not. Others can still use the Windows pass-thru authentication, but these particular users would use the specific account with the additional priv. They could even login directly by passing the credentials in their URL. Naturally, this opens up the question of security, but it would work.

Approximately how many other users do you have?

0 Kudos

We only have about 5 network people... who have different views.

But this feature I am trtying to do is for our field lan, remote office staff which is 136 People, they are the ones that need the ability to update.

Would it be possible to use another pararmeter to do the checking? or remove that part completly?

0 Kudos

I must be missing something here...? 😛

The only way to delineate areas of responsibility is by assigning different privileges/views based on the account credentials. If the 136 remote office personnel are the only ones who should have the ability to update custom properties via the web, and there are only 5 other (network) people who use the system (who should not have the ability to change the custom property), then create specific accounts for the 5 network people and don't configure these accounts to allow them to clear events. I assume you already have discreet credentials for the 5 network people, since you mentioned they have different views. In this case, the only account that should be configured to be allowed to clear events (which is the mechanism to also allow them to change the custom property) is the one domain account that you have configured.

Earlier, you made the statement "I can grant everyone permission to update but do not want to allow them to customize". With the "allow account to clear events" hack in place, you don't need to allow them to customize views. The only thing you should need to do is select "Yes" in the "Allow account to clear events" pull-down for the accounts you want to have the ability to edit the custom property. If everyone is using the domain account you mentioned earlier, then this is the only one where you need to allow them the ability to clear events, and thus update the custom property.

Is there a piece of this that I don't understand correctly? 😞

Are there any other users besides the 136 field personnel and the 5 network people?

0 Kudos