This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Hardware health sensors & SQL Queries

I know you can enable/disable hardware sensors via an SQL query but can you add conditional statements to that query? Basically, we have a lot of devices showing a Warning state because of hardware health sensors. These sensors are flagging interfaces that are either shutdown or disconnected. I don't want to disable the sensor completely for fear I'd forget to turn it back on when that interface does get used but my boss is starting to question why all our devices show up with yellow warnings... Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• That's basically a bug in the way Cisco reports some fiber interfaces warning thresholds when they aren't in use.  What you see in the CLI is not the same as what you get when you query for those thresholds with SNMP, and Solarwinds is working based on what it sees in SNMPunfortunately.  It's super annoying and I tend to either disable the sensor or switch to the envmon hardware health mib.  If you wanted to be more thorough you would need to over ride the built in thresholds for those sensors and specify the correct thresholds, but I'm usually not motivated enough to do so.

• Hi

I always recommend to modify the thresholds instead of disabling the sensor. I only recommend disabling the sensor when the data reported is correct (for example when it says temperature is 0 degrees when it is not).

Modifying thresholds you will get alerts when you really need to.

Edit hardware health thresholds

Raul Gonzalez

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg

• This query might help with devices that show in the HWH_HardwareItem table and you can disable based off of sensor name and specific nodeID:

update [dbo].[HWH_HardwareItem] set IsDisabled = 0 where UniqueName = 'sensorname' and HardwareInfoID in (select ID from HWH_HardwareInfo where netobjecttype = 'N' and netobjectID in (select nodeid

from nodesdata where caption like '%nodename%'))

• There was a bug for a while where disabled sensors will get enabled again on their own.  Haven't tried to check it in the latest release, but I would suggest you keep an eye on those and make sure they stay disabled