cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Community Manager
Community Manager

HTML Formatting in Advanced Alerts

Our company uses nothing but advanced alerts because it's just easier for us to get all the information we need at that one time.  With the inclusion of HTML in the email alerts (which is much easier enabled in 10.1.2) this has gotten even better.

However, I did notice one problem that might be easier to explain with a sample and an image.

The following is an example of a simple alert that we've drafted using the HTML format:

[Down] BALTEXREST01v (10.5.5.100)
This alert has been triggered because BALTEXREST01v is Down

NodeNode status is Down.BALTEXREST01v / 10.5.5.100
Machine TypeWindows 2008 Server
DNS Name baltexrest01v.piper.root.local
Site BALT
Role(s) 

For the message to look this pretty, I need to enter all the HTML code on the SAME LINE in the message window.  Though it wraps, if I were to put in Carraige Returns, the system automatically replaces Carraige Returns with a <br /> (HTML Manual Line Break).

Feature Request: Please include just a checkbox or something in the Edit E-Mail/Page Action Window's Message Tab to allow me to enable/disable the auto-replacement of a CrLf with a <br />.

"Shoot for the stars to reach the moon"
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Just a quick FYI, I've added a new post on how I do this and how the manual carriage returns can be added in HTML alerts:

Basic HTML and CSS in Alerts

I also realized that I had a feature request out there still to be voted on.

EOL Conversion in HTML Alerts

Level 15

It's not my intention to sound condescending (and I apologize if I do) but why not simply insert carriage returns as needed. I'm assuming that you're inserting the <br /> tag manually. Since you know that the carriage return is replaced by the <br /> HTML tag, why not let the system take care of it?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

No insult was perceived as I may have not explained it well.

When I draft HTML in a editor (normally plain text) I put in carriage returns after certain elements for readability. I *always* do this for elements in a table tag so that there is a visual and logical break between rows and column definition.

So a simple one would look like this:

<table>
  <tr>
    <td>Row 1/Cell 1</td>
    <td>Row 1/Cell 2</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Row 2/Cell 1</td>
    <td>Row 2/Cell 2</td>
  </tr>
</table>

If Orion tries to interpret this particular set of HTML code, it would actually send the following:

<table><br />
  <tr><br />
    <td>Row 1/Cell 1</td><br />
    <td>Row 1/Cell 2</td><br />
  </tr><br />
  <tr><br />
    <td>Row 2/Cell 1</td><br />
    <td>Row 2/Cell 2</td><br />
  </tr><br />
</table><br />

So this will be way off insofar as formatting.  The only way that I can get what I'm looking for is to put all of the HTML code on the same line, like this:

<table><tr><td>Row 1/Cell 1</td><td>Row 1/Cell 2</td></tr><tr><td>Row 2/Cell 1</td><td>Row 2/Cell 2</td></tr></table>

Since HTML doesn't "care" about white spaces this is rendered the same as my original sample, but it is much harder to read and edit for complex HTML.

What I'm really looking for the is the ability to tell Orion (when processing HTML Messages) to ignore carriage return/line feed characters and use EXACTLY what I'm entering as I've entered it.

Ok, I didn't know that you were using tables to define the layout. Another option would be to use inline CSS but in my brief testing, it can get cumbersome. I agree with you that having the option to disable automatic replacement of carriage returns with <br /> tags would certainly be help in these cases.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Got it, I will get this logged into the system

0 Kudos

KM--

I'll mark for PM.

M

0 Kudos