Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

HP Servers

Jump to solution

Hello all,

We would like to use Orion to monitor the status of disks in an array.  If we have a drive fail, we want it to appear in the Nodes with Problems view for all to see.

I have searched Thwack and found a custom poller someone posted in the Content Sharing Zone, however, it does not return results we can interpret.  Does anyone use Orion for this purpose? I'm sorry for the less than specific question -- but I'm not sure where to start!

Thank you in advance, 

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

It's a Tabular Universial Device Poller

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Level 13

Try these.....

JB

Jbaulsir,

I know this posting died long ago. I am trying to follow along and create the Server Details View you posted. How do I create the Server Details View? can the Node Details View be used as a template? Now that we are running v10+ will all this stil work?

I am beginning to try to use ORION NPM to Monitor Servers and I am no where near you level of expertise. I would really appreciate any insight you have into creating a Server View. We too are trying to replace HPSim as well as other tools, and now we have some competition with MS SCOM, We want a single pane of glass and are evaluating APM now.

I am also confused when it comes to the telnet, ssh, rdp mechanisms NPM has to offer, but never have been sucessful at getting them to work for the average Customer(user), as we can not afford to purchase ETK for every user. Any insight into this subject would also be appreciated, if you have any to offer.

Thank you

0 Kudos

Here a piture of the browser integration -

0 Kudos

The server details here is in fact a custom resource. That was modified from the node details resource.  Custom properties were added to it along with extensive universal device pollers (most of which are detailed in the NPM UnDP download section)  all of this works with version 10 and in fact we just upgraded to version 10.2. 

I'm not so sure about what your problem is with telnet SSH RDP,  that stuff pretty much works out-of-the-box for us.  I have added some additional things like putty and virtual center to the solar winds browser integrated menu.

I've attached the server details resource as a zip file,  note this is not supported by solar winds or me for that matter so use at your own risk.

JB

0 Kudos

JB,

Thank you for posting these.  I apologize for being incompotent, but I receive errors during the import that are obviously my fault because Brandon was able to use these pollers.

I think it has to do with how I'm saving the file you posted.  The .XML opens in a browser window when I click download. I tried pasting that into a text file (naming with proper extension) without success.  Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos

Try getting rid of the "-" in front of - <CustomPollers version="9.0">

JB

0 Kudos

That worked! I notice these OIBs seem to be for FC arrays and drives (and when tested the UnDP reports the OIB isn't supported.) Our systems are SCSI. Perhaps I need OIDs for that type of drive instead?  I will look for them.

Is there a package that needs to be installed on HP systems to support all of the discussed OIDs?  Something general?

0 Kudos

I use the same pollers on both an old and busted MSA500 G2 (SCSI) and a new hotness MSA2000 (Fiber)

What server model is it? What array?

Do you have HP Managemant Agents loaded on the server?

JB

0 Kudos

On my servers that have both internal SCSI or SAS arrays, along with external SCSI or SAS arrays, I use the same OID that I sent over to you. You will usually see the HDs listed with a different number, depending on which controller they are on.  For example, internal drives are 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.  And external drives are 2.0,2.1,2.2,2.3. I believe the first number refers to the controller.  I'm not sure if I can break those out anymore within the same poller, JB might know a way though.

--Brandon

Is JBs display of the array status a custom report?  I've written custom reports in the past, so they all include canned field or custom properties.  I'm not able to use the report designer to find the other properties like Drive Bay.

0 Kudos

It's a Tabular Universial Device Poller

JB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Ah! That helped.  I've got a view similar to yours, now. 

Can you use the Poller to indicate a problem in the Nodes with Problems view?

I am very grateful for the advice. I would not have figured it out.

0 Kudos

Hey, No Problem

No, but that would be a nice feature to have more flexablity in the Nodes with Problems resource.  (Feature Request..........)

JB

0 Kudos
No, but that would be a nice feature to have more flexablity in the Nodes with Problems resource.  (Feature Request..........)

agreed

0 Kudos

Denny

How about an update to this...

Support says they don't support resource customizations.  If Solarwinds wants to move Orion to better support for servers, having a capablity to direct link to a server management/diagnostic page would sure help.  We use it all the time,  Orion alerts us to a problem on a server, like network teaming, power supply redundancy, bad memeory, high temp, array controller errrors, bad disks, etc (we have replaced most all the monitoring functionallity of HP Insight Manager)  and just click on the link to the HP Management Homepage to view the problems, check logs, etc.

JB

0 Kudos

We are new to Orion and are just starting to test this out.  We rely heavily on HP SIM and are looking to replace it with Orion.  (We are looking to consolidate 3 applications with Orion)  Can you point me in the right direction on how you setup alerts for the bad memory, high temp, array, bad disks etc?  How are you calling these into Orion?  i don't see these in the out-of-the-box stuff.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

The Universal Device Poller is your friend, first start with the pollers......

0 Kudos

Then Use Advanced Alert Manager....

0 Kudos

Then when you get comfortable, you can move to tables....

0 Kudos

And add the results to the node details (I created a "Server Details" view)....

0 Kudos