This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

HP Printers and SolarWinds

Hello,

I think SolarWinds sales will love me for this!!

I'm thinking of away to know when a HP Printer has the Toner low alert set. Is there away that SolarWinds can read this and notify me??

We just entered into a Print Management contract and I don't want a users to tell us they need a toner just to stockpile toner!!

I know this might be a little much...

Thanks,
Dave
  • You should look in to HP web Jet admin. It's free.
  • Some of the newer HP jet direct cards support syslog. If the toner low message is sent via syslog solarwinds can alert you when that message is received.

• I'm testing out the practically of monitoring printers. Since this thread was originally created, we've been blessed with Custom/Universal Device Pollers. The OID for low toner seems to be included with UnDP but I'm wondering if we can get more details. I was wondering if anyone knew the OID (assuming it exists) that tracks the number of pages left before the toner is completely exhausted.
  • I'm in the same boat.  I love Orion and UnDP, but man the interface can be difficult at times, not to mention finding the correct OID.

I first started out simply wanting to get the total page count of all of my printers on the network.  Ideally, UnDP would poll my printers, and using that value display the following in Orion:

1. Chart that lists each printer and it current life page count. (There are different counts for life of printer, PCL Print Jobs, PS Print Jobs, etc.  I only want life of printer page count for now.

2. A graph of each printer that shows me the total page count at the time of the poll.  That way I can see how quickly printers are or are not being used.  Hopefully this would be a line chart that is plotted with count value over time.

3. Perhaps a bar chart that shows each printer, left to right so I can see at a glance which printer has the most usage.

The OID for page count is 1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.  This is a table value.

I'm still trying to get my head around GET, GET NEXT, GET TABLE.  When I test in UnDP it says the OID is valid.  I then assign the poller to all of my HP and Canon printers/copiers.  They all return the correct page count.  I then assign them to a new page I created in Orion.  All of the printers are listed but the page count value is 0???

This is all so very confusing.  But if you use the Printer-MIB it should be able to access all of the values we are looking for.  The hard part is figuring out how to make Orion Display them properly.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to SeaDave

Could you post a screenshot of how it looks in Orion when you "edit" the UnDP resource?

•  

This is now the correct OID.  I'm still confused with Tables, but I was able to determine that if used the GET command in a third party OID browser, I was able to specify the exact data entry with the addition of 1.1 at the end of the MIB.  It now works which is great.  So I'm simply using GET instead of GET TABLE.  I also have it as a RAW VALUE and not as a counter.  When I used it as a counter the charts would all start at 0 value which didn't work.  What remains is the following:

On my Color Canons I need to figure out the OIDs for the BW and Color and track those independantly.

How would I create a line chart that shows the count of all printers so I can see which one is being used the most at a single glance?  Would I use report writer for that?

The final piece of the puzzle is if I can figure out a way to have the counts for specific printers automatically emailed to the service providers each Monday AM.  That would save me a lot of time.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to SeaDave

In the Orion web console, you need to add a custom poller resource to the Node Details page.  From there, you can specify which poller.  There are graph and table resources.  That's what you're looking for.  That's what I was thinking of when I mentioned a screenshot.

I've attached two screenshots to show you what you should be looking for.