cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

HA keeps failing due to a service failing unexpectedly several times.

Jump to solution

Hi,

Our environment has HA enabled. We have a service that keeps for some reason going into a stop state. When this does we can see that the HA services attempts to restart that server. When this fails due to it running past it's threshold time it fails over. Is there a way to blacklist the service? Or a different method that can be used to keep it from failing over?

Better yet if anyway knows why this keeps failing or which log I can look at to find out what's going on would be great. We are on 2019.2 hotfix 2 with plans to upgrade to 2019.4 hotfix 3. We do not see any specific documentations that specifically states if the upgrade would fix this. And we've been unable to get reassurance. So we are trying to figure out ways to mitigate this and stabilize HA from failing over when really there isn't a real reason or justification for a true fail over.

I can provide more information if needed. I've been digging into the logs but haven't had anything jump out at me. service failing:

Labels (4)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Yes, there is a method for excluding services from HA. 

To put a service on the blacklist, perform these steps:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\HighAvailability\Plugins\Blacklists\OrionMainPoller.xml
  2. Add this line: <Name>YourServiceName</Name>

You need to perform this on both members(servers) in the HA pool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 13

service name:  "solarwindslogpollingservice"  this is the service name.

0 Kudos

Yes, there is a method for excluding services from HA. 

To put a service on the blacklist, perform these steps:

1. Open C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\HighAvailability\Plugins\Blacklists\OrionMainPoller.xml
  2. Add this line: <Name>YourServiceName</Name>

You need to perform this on both members(servers) in the HA pool.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thank you! By chance would you know if this service is related to vman or which module it'll be related too? Which log does it write too? Basically I'm trying to figure out why it keeps unexpectedly failing. So I could either open a ticket or find a resolution if it's something I can manage to resolve myself.

Thing is I'm not sure where to look. Thanks again!

0 Kudos

This service is related to Orion log manager do you have a license for log manager that possibly expired? or does windows event say anything why this service might be failing?

0 Kudos

@adatole : I wanted to join you in on this conversation to get your opinion as well? I want to go hunting for this in the logs but not sure where to look. could you help?

0 Kudos
Level 13

@aLTeReGo : Can you help me with this? Not sure if you can or if this belongs to another product manager. We are trying to understand if an upgrade fixes this problem or what can we do to fix this. It happens frequently enough that it's getting managements attention. However, if we can confirm an upgrade will fix it than that'll be great as we'll be upgrading this up coming weekend.

Thanks!

0 Kudos