This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Grouping of objects for alerting

Hi there,

We have just purchased Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor and I have be put in charge of setting it all up.

I have added all the nodes that I would like to monitor and can see how to group them via the AgentPort, community Contact etc. However when it comes to Alerting I am struggeling to work out how to get it to group correctly.

As an example, we have devices in many different countries. They all have the same community string, contact details etc. However we have multiple Departments that need to be alerted when their device goes offline. Our naming structure is xxxyyzz999 where xxx is the company code, yy is Site code, zz = device code, 999 = Device number. The problem is they all have the same Company code so I can't sort via name. People in Australia don't want to be notified if a device in Europe goes down, and visa vera. However they do want to know if their device is offline.

If there a way to create a group and add devices into that group and then set alerting to that group. Eg: AU-Devices, EU-Devices, etc.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Regards,

Bogor

•  Welcome to the Forums Bogor & the world that is Orion.

Grouping is one of the main features of Orion.
    This can be accomplished with the Custom Property Editor.

You can create any custom property you like and use this for alerting, reporting and many others.
    Using a combination of properties, it is possible to setup alerting suppression with custom properties as well.

Example

• create a CP called Tier and another one called site.
    • assign a value of 1 to all backbone devices, 2 for Distribution Routers & 3 for access switches & 4 for servers
    • assign a name to all devices in one site behind a BB router

Now create an alert for all your access switches in one site such as this:

• alert on any - node status = down and site = xyz and CP - Tier = 3
    • but not if node status <> up and site = xyz and CP - Tier = 2

This will suppress down node alerts for your access switches in site xyz if your DR's are not up.
    Note: this last part is important as it covers the polling intervals so that your should get very few alerts through before the suppression kicks in.
    What this means is the alerts will also be suppressed if the DR status is Warning or Unknown
    You should poll your DR's & BR's more frequently than your access switches in any case.

HTH

• Many thanks for your great reply.

That seems to be exactly what I was after.

Regards,

Bogor

• Could you please attach a screen shot of how it looks in the advanced alerts?

Your expert high-impact network management support is greatfully appreciated.

• I have attached a screen shot of what I believe is the correct way to set this up.

Could someone please help answer if this is correct?

• Pleas post a screenshot!

Thanks,

AL     

• Add a trigger condition!!!

•  I think that is not going to work, for a simple reason, you're saying in a point TIER = 3 and in the same statement you say Tier=2, this is impossible.

Thanks,

Regards,

Ariel     

• The attached screen shot displays what we currently have setup and appears to be working; however, we have not tested.  The alert has not triggered yet because nothing has become unavailable.

If someone has confirmed that this type of setup is correct, please reply; otherwise, I will continue to test.

The logic here is that if something is unavailable then don't alert on child nodes that Orion does not know the status of: hense <> up status of a node.

• You are confusing triggering with alert suppression - these are 2 separate tabs which are configured independantly.
    I have not actually set this up & tested this in production, but here is how I would do it.

•  One Pic per post.... doh!

Here is the trigger condition: