This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Gmail email alerts not working!!!

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi guys,

I just setup the Orion  NPM, everything cool but when I try to setup the email alert with my gmail domain account it doesn't work, I used a test and it always failed.

Setup is like this. And the server I'm at it has connection to the internet just fine.

orion npm mail fail.PNG

• Thought I'd give it a try for the fun of it.   Had problems also, even though configured "correctly" according to gmail, and so are you.  The only thing I can suggest is to try using your actual gmail.com address instead of your domain?  Neither worked for me though.  You'll probably need to get in touch with google's support if you want to do this.

I would question doing this, unless you're set up for the "Google Apps SMTP relay", over the "Gmail SMTP server" - which the fact that you're using "smtp.gmail.com" says that your set up for "Gmail SMTP server".   Doing it the way you are has restrictions on the # of emails sent per day, and while alerts alone could put you over this, I would think it could also impact your regular email too if the alerts go over?   Gmail will also filter suspicious emails too, which it could catch some of your alerts.

The "Google Apps SMTP relay" would probably be a bit easier to set up, as you could bypass using authentication, and the restrictions are on the # of recipients, not the # of messages.   Since Alerts usually go to a limited # of recipients this shouldn't be an issue...

Article on this here...

Google Apps SMTP settings to send mail from a printer, scanner, or app - Google Apps Administrator Help

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to cnorborg

Hi,

I just tried it and it didn't worked using the @gmail account.

I even checked my firewall and it's showing that it's allowing the connection.

• Hi,

I had the same problem. I hadn't checked the "Use SSL" check box, I had only specified "SMTP server port" as 465. When I checked the check box it worked!

But I can see you have checked the box.

Make sure your DNS can resolv smtp.gmail.com and that your firewall is opened up for port TCP 465 towards Gmails IP-addresses... or why not just ANY.

And check this article out:

SolarWinds Knowledge Base :: Using Gmail to send Orion alert emails

• kristofer ... just wanted to say thanks, I had totally forgotten to check my DNS settings on the server's NIC.  We had migrated to new DNS servers and this server was never updated.

• Thank you Bill! Great to be of any help to someone! emoticons_happy.png

• Hi all,

I have just installed the NPM and going to setup the SMTP with google setting. But seem it is not working.

when I test with google smtp setting as above. Test fail.

I have already checked my firewall, it should be ok for the smtp traffic. Any suggestions?

P.S. My NPM is 11.5.3.

• Hi esther823,

Check your firewall log to see if you can see any connection attempt from your NPM server towards smtp.google.com?

If you can't see any traffic hitting your firewall try to telnet from the NPM server towards smtp.google.com on the same port your are using in NPM (25, 465, 587).

If you till can't see any traffic hitting the firewall, then something between your NPM server and firewall is blocking or correct routing is missing.

If you was able to make a connection using telnet then routing and firewall is OK. Then it most certainly must be some faulty configuration. Check everything again.

• Check the log file located in C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Logs\Orion\ActionsExecution.log scroll all the way to the bottom to see what the error says.

• within the email settings have to be empowered to use the pop service .You can check is ok  there ???  See down to pop

pastedImage_0.png

• Hi kristofer​,

I cannot check the log on firewall, so I tried to telnet to smtp.gmail.com on port 25 and 465 and it is successfully? Below is the print screen:

8.jpg

Should be ok?

If there are any miss configuration, should be on the inside NPM?

Hi neomatrix1217​,

Below is the error when I try again this morning:

2016-05-03 09:48:47,559 [56] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker - Test for SMTP server (smtp.gmail.com:465, SSL enabled, Authentication disabled) failed

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004020E): The server rejected the sender address. The server response was: 530 5.5.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/14257 lz5sm869098pab.34 - gsmtp

at Interop.cdosys.MessageClass.Send()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Utility.Smtp.Clients.CdoSmtpClient.Send()

at SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker.SendTestEmail(String args)

google rejected my sender address? Do you know what that mean?

Hi cjfranca​,

POP is set, but still get the above error.

Thanks all of you for help!