This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Future customer needs quick answers

I’m currently in china on business and hope to get back to the states soon. With being in china it’s difficult to talk to someone in the states about Orion. I've been asked to look into a all in one network services tool. We currently use MRTG to monitor our 3com switches and HPOV NNM to monitor our WAN. But as some of you may know HPOV is a bear to config and support so heres what we need.

We need a tool that will give us useful information and reports on our Cisco routers (4900, 2600, 2500) our Nortel VPN servers (CES1600) and our network switches (3com 3300 and 4400) we need to monitor the ports on the 3com for over usage by the users, the Nortel servers for general health and the Cisco routers for bandwidth usage. We’ve spent on consulting time to get HPOV working what Orion cost many times over and still not getting the results we need. I think from looking at the website and demos I don’t think it will have any problems with the Cisco routers but my concerns are the 3com switches and the Nortel boxes. We need results out of the box and impact quickly.
  • Jason,

As you have stated, setting up Orion is a real snap. It is very intuitive and gives you instant results. We are monitoring 600 nodes with around 2600 interfaces.
    As far as monitoring devices, support for Cisco devices is very good.
    We are monitoring Nortel Passport & Baystack switches, and are able to get port util & error stats, but not CPU or memory stats.

I believe V7 will include the ability to import custom MIBS, but I can't say for sure, as there has been no official announcement of the new features supported. If this is the case, then it should be able to provide stats for almost any device, as long as you have the correct MIBs.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • If you want out of the box, Solarwinds orion is for sure the one to go with. I even give my regional managers access to add & remove equipment now and i was able to setup our entire network in less than 4 hours (70 routers+200 switches
    thanks
    mark
  • I'm large network manager,though we really hope get solarwinds power tools but In china we cann't buy Orion ,and get support service form solarwinds is hard difficult.