This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Force update to map in Orion Maps - NPM

I created a map in Orion Maps but I got "unknown" in one half of the connection between switches. I realised I wasn't monitoring both sides of some connections, so I've fixed that but the map is not updating - still showing as "unknown".

The maps were last updated on the day I created them (3 days ago) so how can I force a refresh to see if monitoring both sides of the connection has worked?

Thanks.

• That seems very odd hebridean.  What version are you running of the Platform? We did identify an issue that was addressed in 2019.4 HF3 which could have something to do with it.  Have you also validated from the node details NPM Topology widget that the expected connection is now visible?  Can you share any screenshots?

• Here is a screen shot. It's not always the same side of the connection that is showing as unknown. The same thing happens with several maps I've created. I'm using NPM 2019.4 HF1 and Orion Platform 2019.4 HF3.

I'm a beginner at this...how do I use the Topology widget to validate?

pastedImage_0.png

• Thanks for sharing hebridean​ - so the connections that will automatically be shown are the topology connections identified through NPM's Topology discovery.  Typically if you are missing a connection you would expect, I recommend validating that against the NPM Topology Widget.  This can typically be found on a Node Details Page, usually under the Network Tab. It will look like this -

pastedImage_0.png

By default - Orion Maps will show any connection in which we have identified the interface on either side.  If there are unknowns on both sides or even 1 side, these are not going to be visible on the canvas.  It looks like you may have gone into centralized settings and enabled the L2 and L3 unknowns - which will trigger those connections to be shown as well. You can also enable shadowed nodes which would show connections we are aware of but you are not monitoring the endpoint.  Now if there are multiple connections between two devices and you have enabled L2 -L3 unknowns - Unknown is considered a status and will roll up to the top.  Depending upon what you want depicted on the maps, you might check against the topology widget and validate you are seeing the connection expected. 

If possible, it may be a good idea to update to the latest version as there could be something from NPM side that I am missing.  Keep me posted on what you see after checking the NPM Topology Widget.

• I did go in to centralized settings and enable L2+L3 unknowns when I initially created the map to see unknowns. Here is the NPM Topology Widget:

pastedImage_0.png

I'll upgrade to the latest version and see how it goes. Thanks @jblankjblank

• Yep - so that is what I would expect to see which appears to be the case in your map hebridean​ - So for this list, we need to be sure to add the interface on each "unknown" side is added.  If you are already monitoring those interfaces, I would absolutely recommend identifying a couple example devices, grabbing some SNMP walks, and create a support case for the NPM team to investigate.

Also, keep in mind that using the latest version of Orion Maps, you can manually define connections as indicated here:  https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-205347#jive_content_id_Manually_Define_Connections