This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

For storage of historical data that are 365 days old, what is the ideal Solarwinds database server size?

Dear All,

I'm here again.
Recently, I just observed the Solarwinds database server settings in my work environment and this is what I found. Please see below.

Retain Detail Stats:     7 Days
Retain Hourly Stats:    30 Days
Retain Daily Stats:      365 Days
Retain Events:            30 Days

This arrested my attention immediately because over time, I have been having issues with generating reports.
Usually, I generate quarterly reports based on business hours (08:00am to 6:00pm) through weekdays (Monday to Friday) but I just observed that the reports were not correct
because the database retains the required historical data (Hourly Stats, as seen above) for 30 days only, and what I desire is a report from 90 days retained historical data which is not available. It is only reports for the last 30 days that I get but I never knew.

At first, when I saw that the database retains Daily Statistics for 365 days as seen above, I thought I could tweak out the business-hours-weekdays historical reports that I need,
but on using Orion Database Manager to view tables that store data based on daily statistics, I found out that the DateTime column in those tables conveys only date, and not date and time together. Therefore, generating any business-hours-weekdays reports from it would prove abortive.

So now, the issue has been pin-pointed and addressed. My senior management have been informed about it, and they posed a question to me:
"What storage size would you require for Solarwinds database to be able to retain historical data that are 365 days old for all its tables?" This is where I need assistance. Honestly, I do not know what to reply.

At the moment, the current storage space for the Solarwinds database is 349GB with 26.1GB free; the memory capacity is 16GB. It's actually a Virtual Machine: 64 bit Windows 2008 Server R2 Enterprise with 2 processors (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz).

Currently, this is the amount of information the database holds. See below.

Network Elements: 1247
Nodes:               382
Interfaces:          454
Volumes:            411
Alerts:                177
Events:              130226
Pollers:              5757
Polling Engines:   1

CurrentSWDBDetails.png

Kindly advise. Your swift response would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

David.

• a) max allowed duration is 6 months I believe but also means a hit on your DB storage and performance, and a delay in generating the dailys.

b) if you look at the total number of records, the daily is roughly 1/3 of the daily + detail combined. I would open the database manager utility on the solarwidns server, and first exclude the largest tables like syslog or snmp traps from the DB size and you could roughly assume that for every 30 days of hourly data you want to keep, it is an additional 1/3 of the DB size.

these are all very rough calculations.