Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 16

For ESX/ESXi/Vcenter monitoring, is SNMP mandatory

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Just a quick clarification required on ESX/ESXi/Vcenter monitoring. Is SNMP must while configuring these types of devices in Solarwinds? OR just the credentials will do the job....

0 Kudos
1 Solution

To be honest you do not want to poll the hosts directly with SNMP at all if a vcenter is available.  Orion tends to be more likely to have a hard time piecing things together if you are polling some stuff via vcenter and other stuff via the hosts directly.

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 12

We have VIM for the hosts and they are set up through Vmanager. The hosts are listed under

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Level 11

That depends largely on your polling method.  If you are polling your ESXi servers directly or through vCenter polling.  If polling through vCenter then you can get away without SNMP polling.

Yup through Vcenter it polls directly...so wanted to clarify as we have some recent engagements where they wanted this information.

0 Kudos

To be honest you do not want to poll the hosts directly with SNMP at all if a vcenter is available.  Orion tends to be more likely to have a hard time piecing things together if you are polling some stuff via vcenter and other stuff via the hosts directly.

View solution in original post

mesverrum

Thanks. Also once we discover the Vcenter, it will list down the nodes under it right... So if i need to alert on the underlying hosts then i will have to manage those as well, correct?

0 Kudos

if you poll vcenter, and have vman integrated, then you would get some metrics about the hosts even when they aren't managed as nodes.  If you don't have vman then all you get when you click on the hosts that aren't in NPM is a prompt to add them

0 Kudos

I think the question is:

If I'm running NPM and don't have VMAN, what's the best way to monitor hosts in SolarWinds.

We've gone round and round with the question but we've come to find in my environment pratikmehta003​ that polling with SNMP works best.

This allows us to grab all the metrics offered by the host and alert directly on those.

Ideally it would be much easier just to use the vCenter data but as mesverrum​ has said it seems that's more in the VMAN end of the house.