This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Folks, how to improve a best performance to access to Web console Solarwinds, now is very slow

My navegation is to slow how to improve a best performance

• are you asking about how to navigate things better? then you could watch: [VIDEO] SolarWinds Lab #29: OrionRegistered Cribs - View, User, and Resource Customization or if that link doesn't work OrionRegistered Cribs - View, User, and Resource Customization - SolarWinds Lab #29 - YouTube

There are also probably a bunch of posts around about specific customization on thwack too if you look around emoticons_happy.png

If you're talking about the server being kinda slow, take a look at how many devices you are polling and your hardware specs, I had to upgrade ours recently b/c it started running a little slow with our 10,000 monitored elements emoticons_silly.png

• Just curious what version are you running of NPM?  I've previously applied one of the newer hot fixes recently (Hot fix 3) that addresses a few things, one of which is- Improved the page load time on the Web Console.

I see now that Hot Fix 4 is out, and that encompasses all of the previous hot fixes, may be worth your investigation if you haven't already applied them.

You could also enable "hubble" and that may help you identify what is slow on your webpages.  To enable Hubble run the "logadjuster" (<installdir>\solarwinds\orion) and then enable Hubble.  You can try it in verbose mode also.

• aside from the other suggestions whenver I've found the webUI slow it has been because the database is currently being locked up by some process (normally UDT cleaning up something)

• Don't forget most folks don't use IE to access Orion.  Chrome is the most popular, followed by Firefox.  Both are MUCH faster and reliable than IE for accessing Orion.

• I had similar experiences once I reached 10,000 elements per poller with NPM two versions back.  Ended up having to poll less frequently, which helped performance, but degraded statistics.

In one version back I started seeing NPM auto-adjusting polling to complete 100% each cycle on its own--a handy feature, but unexpected.

Now on the latest version I'm seeing no issues with polling completion, and have 40,000 elements to poll without any slowness so far.

• Try to use the Navigation Tabs . This will reduce the amount of load on single page to load .

Reduce the amount of Resources added on single tab

Only Add "Resources" which you really need to load on the First Tab

Do not use High resolution MAP background Even not to use any

page will load extremely quick

nt.PNG

Move extra load to other tabs you do not need to view on summary page .

move.PNG

move the resources to each Tab / Add more tabs if needed Do not over load single Tab

non.PNG

When using any Resources try to use the Less Hours / or less amount say Last 10 Events / Last Hour

less.PNG

Use Top XX Type of Resources and Try to use less amount to load such as 10 / 5 Top

xx.PNG

Try not to use more then 2 Column unless you really need to do that and do not overload with Resources.

3col.PNG

• you're running 40k elements on 1 polling engine? emoticons_shocked.png and what are your server's specs? emoticons_happy.png

• That might not be on single poller so i think he mentioned all together on APE's .  emoticons_happy.png

• Sorry if I made it sound like 40K elements were on one poller; there are four pollers, each with "unlimited" (a.k.al SLX or 10,000-element) licenses.  I find it funny they call 10,000 "unlimited", but hey--it's Marketing!

However, prior to going that route, I had some slowness history at earlier versions of NPM which resolved by themselves when we upgraded to newer versions.  Those newer versions were working perfectly acceptably at 13,000 elements on one poller.  That's a huge improvement over our first NPM deployment that couldn't even handle 8,000 elements.

• Some things I've done:

- Remove as much data as you can on pages people use (by doing the things GoldTipu‌ (Malik) mentioned above)

- I had some issues where I tried to make some views that, behind the scenes, were making a *lot* of queries to determine what access to what devices a user had ( think lots of account limitations that were based on groups that were "dynamic" groups).  Some people had access to ~500+ devices so it would take awhile to determine what they had access to so some resources would load slowly ( about 30-60 sec for a single resource to complete).  I fixed this by using custom properties on their devices and then adding a single account limitation for those properties.

- I've had issues with Orion slowly crawling to a point where it will start having issues.  There are many causes/remedies, but I'd open a support ticket and have them take a crack at it just to see what they find. I've had them fix some things I was not aware of. It still occurs occasionally.

- If you have SNMP traps/syslog going to Orion, check that you are not being flooded by traps/syslogs.. I've had this causes system slowness as it's much slower than "normal" when this occurs.

- if you can, extend the default polling time(s) ("ping", system statistics collection, discovery, etc.) of your devices to be as long as you can get away with to lessen the overall load on teh system.  Some people aren't comfortable pinging every device less than once per minute, others don't care if it's once every 5 minutes.

-  Some IIS changes you may want to consider:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/73137#73137

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2013/04/06/why-is-the-iis-default-app-pool-recycle-set-to-1740-minutes.aspx

I set my system to:

- IIS config: Recycling worker processes tuning

Process: Application Pool -> Recycling: Set from once every 1740 minutes to recycle @ 5:00 PM

- Set to write event to event log

- IIS config Set idle time out to 0 from default of 20

Process: App pool -> Advanced Settings -> Idle time out.

- Orion Console -> Web Settings: Set page refresh to 30 min, from 5.

- Orion Console -> Web Settings: Set session timeout to 120 min, from 25

For reference, how slow is your system?  Is it just a single page or certain pages? I ran some tests on my Orion environment in the past and the response times I have (averages, timed using the built in Firefox browser development tools) are:

1. Load login page: 0.39 - 0.96 sec.

2. Login: ~4.3 sec

3.Search for the Orion app server: 3 - 3.5 sec

4. View the Orion server: 6.13 - 6.36 sec

5. Logout: 3 requests: 0.2 - 0.3 sec

Where I'm at it's considered "responsive enough".  I have 6369 "elements" on a single poller/app server on NPM 11.0.1 (with SAM, NCM, IPAM, UDT) but I'm not running the system very hard:

Polling Rate: 29%

SAM Application Polling Rate: 21%

The other pollers are at 0%

Database is on a separate server, but before it was moved off the response times were essentially the same,