This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Feature request - Copy Custom Properties from another node

Hello -

It would be very nice if when adding a node I could select another node to copy custom properties from.  We have about 10 different properties we apply to each node in the datacenters, and well, people like to make typos.

Possible?

• this is possible with 10.7 (at a minimum) where the custom properties can be set up to provide a drop down box thus eliminating spelling errors, etc..

• Right, for a single property, and for spelling.  With 100 locations to deal with, I have to build pretty long lists.

To select a similar node at a location, click copy properties from, would be much more convenient.

• ed_gpc, have you tried this with the web custom property editor?  It's what I've been doing.  I don't see any reason that wouldn't work for you.  I just sanity checked with my web custom property editor.  You can copy/paste as many cells as you want.

Perhaps developers could add a helpful link on the page one sees when editing a node...something like 'have many similar custom properties on another node and want to copy them?  Head to Custom Property Editor" with a link on that text.

• Closer, but that still requires me to manually go copy them.

• I did something that sorta accomplishes this.  You can put the custom properties in a group and copy them from the group to the nodes within the group using a scheduled SQL query.

In my organization we designate a "SiteID" to represent a physical location.  I have a group created for every SiteID, containing the nodes at that location.  In cases where the group name is the same as the group's SiteID, this query copies some custom properties from the group to the nodes within the group.  You could remove that check or add something like a yes/no field to flag when the group's properties should be applied to the group members..  I have this query running as a scheduled task using sqlcmd.exe

Update NodesCustomProperties SET

NodesCustomProperties.City = ContainerCustomProperties.City,

NodesCustomProperties.State = ContainerCustomProperties.State,

NodesCustomProperties.Country = ContainerCustomProperties.Country,

NodesCustomProperties.Address = ContainerCustomProperties.Address,

NodesCustomProperties.Company = ContainerCustomProperties.Company,

NodesCustomProperties.SiteID = ContainerCustomProperties.SiteID

from NodesCustomProperties INNER JOIN ContainerMemberDefinitions on

(right(ContainerMemberDefinitions.Expression, len(ContainerMemberDefinitions.Expression) - charindex('=',ContainerMemberDefinitions.Expression))) = NodesCustomProperties.NodeID

INNER JOIN ContainerCustomProperties on (ContainerCustomProperties.ContainerID = ContainerMemberDefinitions.ContainerID)

INNER JOIN Containers on (ContainerCustomProperties.ContainerID = Containers.ContainerID)

WHERE ContainerCustomProperties.SiteID = Containers.Name