cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Feature Request - TIME ZONES

I would really love to see the following incorporated into ORION. As a global organization (And I know there are other global users here) these are very important.

1.Being able to set someone’s time zone at the account level so that when they view online statistics they are viewing them in their local time zone (The website would perform a background calculation to show them their time).
2. Being able to specify a time zone when using report writer. This way it would perform a calculation between the collection time zone and the reporting time zone.
32 Replies
Level 10

This would be an excellent feature and I currently suffer from devices and staff all over the globe and have constant issues with incorrect time calculation about responding and reporting.

0 Kudos

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring here and say that would be very helpful for us as well.  We monitor our European sites from North America and they currently see everything in Eastern Standard time. 

0 Kudos

Is Denny or anyone from Solarwinds prepared to comment on this? Its been a question hanging around for years.

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos

I can tell you that it's on the roadmap, and we've been making backend changes across releases to make it possible. 

0 Kudos

Hi Denny,

Is there any updates on the ability to apply Time Zone / DST options to nodes coming soon?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos

It's not in v9.5, but it's a known feature request.

0 Kudos

Our users are currently getting confused with the timezone difference and needs to keep reminding themselves to convert timezones when using NPM

Having this feature would be very benificial.

0 Kudos

Just another bump to this, our solarwinds server is in Hong Kong monitoring equipment across Asia, the US and EMEA, local timezone settings for nodes would make the alerts a lot more useful.

0 Kudos

HI jimbul--

I'll mark this for the product manager since it's been awhile since the last post before yours.

M

0 Kudos

Actually this is still applicable for us.

We are just luckly that we do not have customer that crosses timezone

0 Kudos

Has this request fallen off the radar?

0 Kudos

It's still on the radar, but it's not in NPM 10, and we're still shaping what comes next.

0 Kudos

Denny,

This request has been on the radar for now going on 2 years. When is Solarwinds going to step up to the plate and get this feature on line. My company is global and it makes it really hard for my end users to work the charts. I have to always remind them that the server is GMT-0. I also think the SW community is beginning to give up on this feature.

0 Kudos

jflewis1021,

Although I wish I could, I can't give you a time frame or a commitment on this feature.  If you look around thwack, you'll see that the number of feature requests is quite large, and we aren't able to deliver on all of them, so we have to pick and choose.  We we have done lots of other features, but we haven't done this one yet.  Nevertheless, this feature is one we fully intend to deliver. 

We just have a very conservative policy around promising features.  We'd rather you be annoyed with us for being closed-mouthed than be furious with us for making promises and failing to deliver, an experience everyone on the PM team has had at previous companies.

0 Kudos

I also say.
I want you to speed up the setting of "Time zone".
It must be not difficult.

0 Kudos

Well this is a major problem for my company to actually consider even taking up the use of this product. We have 7 time zones to manage. I note that this feature request has been outstanding for 7 years so it appears that Solarwinds are incapable of addressing the problem within the current structure of the product. Obviously, for this time period to expire before providing something that differentiates the small enterprise from the medium to large means that it requires extensive rework of the product. This appears to be something that Solarwinds simply are not prepared to touch because the impact is too large. I can;t see any other reason for a 7 year delay for a feature request that so many have requested....and why would you want to alienate the potential acceptance of your product with large players....obviously a major internal issue.

0 Kudos

tommiyau,

I appreciate you considering NPM for your project. There are workarounds that others have mentioned, so it is possible to use NPM to meet your needs in the interim although we understand this is less than ideal. I can assure you that we are actively working on this enhancement. The goal is to release this support across all Orion products and modules at the same time versus on a one-off basis (to avoid unexpected user experience across products), which is why this may seem like it's taking longer than it should. 

If you'd like to have a quick chat in more detail about your specific requirements and what we're working on, we'd be more than happy to give you a ring.  Just send me a personal message if you're interested.

Thanks,

-Chris

0 Kudos

I too need this request as a global org I have to use a custom attribute that offsets GMT and have the solarwinds server on GMT to do my business hours calculations.  If and when this becomes available it would be great to be able to tie a timezone to a custom attribute, for instance a site name or code value that we use to say everything at that site is in this timezone and it would know that based on the site code.  Then integrate report writer to use this functionality to do business hours reporting with me needed to write my on custom sql functions/reports.

0 Kudos

I'll toss in a "Yeah, me too".  I'm currently supporting devices in 4 timezones, and that's likely to increase.  As an incredibly obnoxious workaround, I have the server running in GMT and I do calculations based on GMT offset for every issue.

Peter

0 Kudos
Level 9

I have overcome this by including a custom property of TZCorr (Time Zone Correction) for My Nodes. This field states the offset from GMT. Then in my reports I modify the timestamp by this field so that my reports are all generated with local time.

All our devices have time set to GMT

Thanks,
P. B.

Success requires three bones--wishbone, backbone and funnybone. Kobi Yamada
0 Kudos