This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Feature Request: NPM:: Auto Custom Property Population

Hi,

I was thinking that the ability for SW to automatically populated user defined custom properties based upon rules created by the user would be useful.

For example. Lets say im going to add a cisco 3750 48 Port. One of my custom properties might be the number of users supported. In this case 48 would be the value I would like to assign. But instead of importing all the devices then having to go through and retrospectively add in all the custom properties it would be great if before hand I had a number of rules set up (much like the micrsoft rules wizard).So I may have a rule that says if Node.x = y then Node.xcustom = 48 and Node.layer = access

So while im adding the new device and i have added the iP address and snmp strings and sw checks the devices sees that those values match and populates the field.

I am sure this is possible to do retrospectively with a number of sql statements but it would be nice to have it inbuilt.

Problem with my idea is that I understand (could be wrong) that the custom properties will be phased out in favour of tags as in APM.

What do you guys think?

Regards

Miron

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Dynamic custom properties seems like a great idea.

Problem with my idea is that I understand (could be wrong) that the custom properties will be phased out in favour of tags as in APM.

I"m not sure from where this suggestion originates, but there are no plans, no plans whatsoever, to phase out custom properties.  I repeat, we are NOT phasing out custom properties.  We are deeply, madly in love with custom properties.  We cannot imagine life without them.  If anything, we plan to extend and improve custom properties.  We may even bring them flowers, in case they're upset at the suggestion that we are not fully committed to them.

• Denny,

My apologies to custom properties and the families of custom properties and any finanical implication that custom properties may  incur from having to restore the publics good faith in them.

My bad:-)

Miron

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Miron

No worries.  Our custom properties are sensitive, but quite forgiving.

• Actually Dynamic Custom Properties is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking I need these days.  We have hundreds of nodes and often people forget or incorrectly set the custom properties fields when modifying or adding new boxes.  If I could automatically set Custom Properties based on the node name/location/vendor/model etc that would be a HUGE time saver.

I was also thinking that having Dynamic UNDP pollers based on the Custom Properties field would be similarly fantastic - these days I add things like a Cisco router and have to go through manual process of adding multiple UNDP pollers (the web interface btw needs some way to select multiple UNDP pollers in one go based on the Group like the UNDP application lets you!).  Similarly sometimes servers would change from being a IBM to a HP for example - I would love UNDP to detect this and automatically add the correct pollers for the hardware model - right now thats a lot of extra work when we're doing upgrades/migrations...

Any chance of any of these coming soon?

• smc...

I like that extra bit you added regarding the Dynamic UNDP Pollers would be a great addition.

:-)

Miron

• Another feature that would be nice is if you can append the results of a custom poller to the tail end of the Node name. 

For example:

We have a wireless Mesh network that has 6 radios in each box each with their own IP's.  When they are discovered they all return (i.e. Site123).  It would be nice if you could have the ability to do something like:

Site123 + (UnDP Results) - In this case the site might have the following results

Site123-802.11

Site123-SBC Host

Site123-XCVR

Right now I have around 2000 wireless sites that show up all with the same name replicated 6x and can't figure out what component it is without having to click on this Node or memorizing IP addresses.