This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

False Alerts for Wireless Thin Client Down after Controller Software Upgrade

We recently upgraded software on our Cisco 8500 WLAN Controller from v8.0.133.0 to v8.2.141.0

After this upgrade, we started seeing Solarwinds reporting all, or nearly all, of the 1500 APs connected to the controller as being down.

Checking the controller showed no loss of connection from any of the APs.

It has generated these batches of false down alerts as often as twice a day, which causes a good bit of annoyance by the groups receiving the alerts.

We are using SNMP v2, and no changes were made other than the code upgrade.

Other controller still running the old Cisco code are not having this issue.  Rolling back code is not a viable option.

NPM version is 12.0.1

I have opened Support Case #1136786 for this issue.

Anyone have similar experience after software upgrade on a Cisco controller?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

I was seeing a similar issue on our Cisco 5508 using code version 8.2.141.0.  In my case I was only seeing our 3802 APs go down (our 3702s were not affected).  In our case we were getting hit by bug CSCvc40470 .   After upgrading our WLC to code version 8.2.151.0 the problem ceased. 

• We're predominantly using 2702.  I'll check into that bug report.  Thanks for the info!

Edit: It looks like that bug only affects the 3800s, at least as listed.  We may try installing the newer code on our backup controller and rolling some APs over to it and see if the problem replicates or goes away.