This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

F5's - Unknown Machine Type

My F5's are showing up with Machine Type "unknown", which is causing it to default to a completely unrelated view (it defaults to wireless controller view).  Does anyone else have any trouble with that happening, or is there something I just need to troubleshoot?  Just checking before I go putting in a feature request.

• I'm pretty sure my boxes were correctly recognized in NPM 10.x.  Definitely being recognized in NPM 11.5.

All my LTMs are running 11.x.  I haven't had any issue with NPM recognizing the LTMs in any of the 11.x BigIP releases.

First thing I would check would be the SNMP config on the LTM.  Screenshot of my LTM config is here:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 12.48.37 PM.png

Screenshot of Node Details from Orion is here:

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 12.51.04 PM.png

Redacted info in Node Details image is IP address and hostname info.  Apparently we never set the sysLocation or sysContact fields.

• Are these new additions or has the machine type disappeared?

Make sure the snmp is still responding (tests green),

You may want to check the last time your MIBs.cfg (MiB Database) was updated.

• My description matches wbrown​'s  but my machine type says F5, not linux.  May be different version MIBs.cfg
    causing that.

• Aw, man, now I gotta go check my environment.  Looking at cahunt​'s post make me recheck what I was seeing.

We just did an upgrade last week from NPM 11.5.1 to NPM 11.5.3 (and core services, and NCM, and SAM, and VNQM, and .......).  I just realized that my customized views for F5 devices are not being applied.  All my F5 devices have the same Machine Type of "Linux ____" where "____" is the hostname of one of my LTMs.

Already known fallout from that last upgrade was that the backup jobs for my F5 boxes are no longer working.

• Check that MIBS.cfg - if what you DL'ed and installed was dated it may not have the most recent DB included.

* I am making a side note to keep a back up - and verify file saze of this mibs.cfg before and after any UPGRAYYYYYD!

• Downloaded latest mibs.cfg (dated 3/18).  Replaced old copy dated 12/15 of same size.  No change.

Looks like I'll be opening a support ticket tomorrow.

• mibs.cfg has no relationships to machineType -- those values appear hard coded into the application.

After 6+ years I still don't know why machineType has not been pulled out into a separate table that we can edit.

you can only fix this by opening a support case and getting a buddydrop.

OR you can define your own F5 device poller and set MachineType yourself

• Mine too. They all show up as F5 Labs, Inc. I'm still on NPM 11.0.1

• Thanks for the response.

They're not new additions, but I can't tell for sure they ever had the machine type right.  I know the issue's been going on for a while, I'm only getting around to it now since it didn't impact actual monitoring.  SNMP works fine, and I'm getting plenty of F5-specific data on my reports.

I'll check into the MIBs.cfg thing.  Where can I look up how to update it?

• Thanks for the heads up on that.  Good to know it does actually work and it's just me.