Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

F5 APM Poller and Alerts

Hello,

We use an F5 Application Policy Manager appliances as a VPN head-end along with their Big-IP VPN Client. Due to the current pandemic, our VPN usage is going up considerably. I am hoping to be able to monitor concurrent user sessions and alert based on user count. So far I have not been able to find if that is possible as it seems the Solarwinds integration is limited to the LTM and GTM portion of the F5.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: F5 APM Poller and Alerts

Have you checked if the F5 VPN reports on that info via SNMP? You could potentially set up a custom UNDP poller for the OID's if they are available.
Otherwise it may need to be a REST poller, which is available via the current SAM release.
- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

From what I am reading in an F5 doc "BIG-IP APM supports use of SNMP to determine the number of concurrent user licenses in use". I have never set up a custom poller. I will start to research that. It also does have an API interface, but I know next to nothing about using API. It is something I know I need to start to learn, but due to pandemic demands, I am hoping to have this alert/monitoring up by tomorrow.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

My short answer is: NO. That stat is broke and has been for 5 years.

https://support.f5.com/csp/article/K17305

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've been struggling to figure this out for a week as well.

Anyone have a way?  I can't seem to get UnDP to like the OID string required for grabbing the info I want monitored:

snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost F5-BIGIP-APM-MIB::apmAccessStatCurrentActiveSessions

0 Kudos
Highlighted

What do you mean broken?  Works for me:

[admin@xxxxEdge:Active:Standalone] ~ # snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost F5-BIGIP-APM-MIB::apmAccessStatCurrentActiveSessions

F5-BIGIP-APM-MIB::apmAccessStatCurrentActiveSessions.0 = Gauge32: 100

From GUI:

Total Active Sessions

Active Session Count105
0 Kudos