This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Explain topology improvements?

We recently upgraded to NPM 10.3.1 and I was hoping the improvements in topology discovery would help me with mapping. I'm not seeing the behavior I expected and haven't found anything in the NPM documentation that really explains how it's supposed to work.

To explain what I'm seeing a bit, I have a router in Virginia with a 1 Gb link to a router in Atlanta (both Cisco). Each side is plugged into a gigabit port with a an IP in a /30 network. The interfaces on both sides are monitored in Orion. Both routers are part of a sonar discovery. Both routers have layer 2 and 3 topology checked. The Atlanta router has a similar circuit to a router in Texas that is discovered just fine.

That same Virginia router has several other connections that should be discovered, including another router that sits right next to it with a cable running between the two which isn't discovered. It does find one connection to a switch so it's not as if discovery is failing completely on that router.

I see lots of other places where connections aren't discovered that I was hoping to see now.

So can someone break down how the topology discovery is supposed to work and maybe some troubleshooting hints?

Thanks