cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Events not generating emails after upgrading to NPM 12.0.1

Hi all. I've looked at different threads regarding emails failing out of NPM in general, but the traditional fixes aren't working for me. I've verified the SMTP server, I've sent test emails, and I get emails fine from NCM (which I installed the same day I upgraded NPM) - and the alerts appear to be firing fine on the alerts page/events page, but we've traditionally gotten emails for these events. I'm just not sure where to look to specifically troubleshoot emails with one portion of NPM and not Orion in general. All of the alerts that were there before are still turned on, but anything that shows up specifically on the "events" page is not generating an email like it was before. I've looked multiple times and cannot figure out where this is breaking. Any suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Level 14

Any updates regarding this?  I am beginning the planning of the NPM 12.0.1 upgrade and with alerts being a major need, I would hate to upgrade and have them be broken.

0 Kudos

The SolarWinds guys keep asking me for debugs with varying levels of logging and come back a week later wanting more. I find this process extremely unhelpful, to be completely honest. If I could go back and do it over again, I would absolutely not upgrade. YMMV, but the specific version I installed appears to seriously break alerting.

0 Kudos

12.0.1 is a clunky junker to those that did not do a clean install.

0 Kudos

Curious, why do you say that? I did an upgrade and have only had a few relatively minor issues.

0 Kudos

Our install has been severely affected by the upgrade. Many basic features broke. And we are in the middle of figuring out the best path to get back to normalcy. Rebuilding is a challenge due to varied complexities. Perhaps our installation consultant should not have deployed more than a single all in one PE with all products piled on one host. Single point of failure was a bad move.

There are other threads about 12.0.1 upgrade woes. So I'm not alone or whining.

0 Kudos

That sucks. I had the problem where reboot alerts quit along with a few other annoying little things that I got resolved after a few hours. Mostly no one noticed aside from me so I was happy for that at least.

0 Kudos

How many products are on your main polled? Ours is packed with all the biggies.

0 Kudos

Keeping it simple here. NPM, SAM, DPA. Kind of explains why I had it a bit easier.

0 Kudos

Is there a best practice guide for doing a clean install of the application and its services while maintaining the databases, that you know of?

0 Kudos

I plan to follow this at some point as my environment has been limping along and my network engineers are without a fully functioning NCM.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/106557

1.  Backup your DB and SolarWinds machine/VM first.  This is in case you have to go back.

2.  Upgrade your current SolarWinds installation(s) in the correct order (in accordance with the product upgrade advisor ) so that it upgrades the database.

3.  Build your new SolarWinds server using the same IP address and machine name.  Obviously, disconnect the NIC until ready to put into production.

4.  Install all the latest versions of the SolarWinds products that you just upgraded to (in accordance with the product upgrade advisor ) to a new (dummy) DB.  This is just to get them installed.  Create any name.  This will be deleted.

5.  Create backup of the new SolarWinds server so you have something to go back to if you need to later on.  You don't want to repeat this build if you done have to.  This is just in case something goes wrong.

6.  Shut down or disconnect the NIC to the old SolarWinds server.

7.  Bring up the new SolarWinds server and/or enable its NIC.

8.  Run the Configuration wizard on the new server and map it to the upgraded DB from step 2.

9.  Delete the dummy DB.

10.  Decommission the old server after you have verified the new one is fine.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Try uninstalling the DPA integration module on the primary poller.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Any critical or error SolarWinds related events in your Windows event log?

0 Kudos

SolarWinds support took a look at it last week and has collected some diags and sent them off for their dev team to review. We tried a bunch of things, including this:

https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Network_Performance_Monitor_(NPM)/Basic_alerts_failure...

...but in the end, we still don't have any alerts firing. Not even basic ones. Not only do my events not create emails anymore, not even the built in stuff seems to be generating emails. If you run a test fire from a given alert, though, that does go through.

0 Kudos

I've seen the same issue and restarting services seems to be the only way back to normalcy.

I have noticed that I have to restart my SW server about every 3 weeks to keep the emails alerts flowing.  I did not perform a fresh install but rather an upgrade.

0 Kudos

To be clear, restarting services did not fix anything in my case, and mine was an upgrade.

0 Kudos