Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Error when managing views after upgrading to NPM v11.5

Jump to solution

Hey guys,

I think I need some help with an error I am seeing when I try to manage any of the views for NPM.  The error I am seeing is "object reference not set to an instance of an object" and I've only started seeing this after upgrading to 11.5 last Thursday, 3/12/2015.  Has anyone seen this issue when they've upgraded to 11.5 and found a way to resolve it?  There are a few older threads out there that state to either reinstall everything from scratch, blow away the website via IIS, then run the config wizard for either all resources or just the website.  It's not entirely clear which is the best path to resolve the issue.  My team is still able to work but I would like to utilize some of the new features brought in with the upgrade to 11.5.

The threads I have found are : Error editing a View - An unexpected error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an o...  NPM add or edit view error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" and Unexpected Website Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object after NPM 10.7

My current SolarWinds configuration : NPM(11.5) and NCM(7.2.2) Additional Web-server, NPM(11.5) and NCM(7.2.2) Polling Engine, NPM(11.5) Additional Polling engine, SQL 2008 r2 database server.

I really appreciate all the help I can get here b/c this one is stumping me.  Thanks in advance!

PJ Martin

Network and Monitoring Engineer, Sr.

Global Payments Inc.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

The only way I was able to resolve my issue was to upgrade to NPM v11.5.1 after many support calls and gotomeetings. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies

Hello, good morning!

I had this problem, when I upgrade to NPM 11.5.2 I resolved than.

Regards,

Rodrigo Almeida.

0 Kudos

The only way I was able to resolve my issue was to upgrade to NPM v11.5.1 after many support calls and gotomeetings. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 11

Experiencing same issue. Error can occur for any view, happening on both main engine web server and our additional web server. Started after we upgraded from NPM 11.0.2 to 11.5.2. I have opened a support ticket # 827791. Have tried remedy offered by LadaVarga‌ here: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. it resolved the issue for 1-2 days, but then issue reappeared on both website. I will repeat these steps and include a reboot as per tigger2‌ suggestion. Looking forward to resolution.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Any updates/resolutions?

I just found this same issue in my environment.  I last upgraded to NPM 11.0.1.  I can't do anything when creating new views due to the error.  It also pops up when just looking at any view in the editor (I could probably delete things, but haven't tried).

Sometime next week I'm going to try the steps listed by LadaVarga‌ here: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. as jonathanfourie appears to have tried it and it worked.  That seems to be the only solution that doesn't go as far as a complete re-install (or opening a ticket) and everyone's posts point to it being an IIS/website thing that can occur after an in place upgrade (not just 11.5)

0 Kudos

Update: I performed the steps I mentioned above and *it worked*.  I also rebooted the server the Orion IIS/Apps were on (as part of patching, but I always boot it when I make changes to Orion)

0 Kudos
Level 7

Is there an effort to fix this issue?  Contemplating rolling back to the previous version.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am also having this same issue.  Please update with your findings.

0 Kudos
Level 17

Not a known issue- a support ticket may be the best course here: SolarWinds Customer Support - We're Here to Help

0 Kudos

Sorry Rob, but this is the issue I was having and reported and you were supposed to look at.  It IS a known issue to many of us and has not been resolved for a month now..

0 Kudos

Apologies sir- we have seen some caching issues with similar symptoms, but not a systemic root cause as I'm aware. If you can send me the case number, I will follow-up.

0 Kudos

Support Ticket # 773972 to investigate the issue.

Thanks for the support, Rob.

**Update**

Out of curiosity, I logged into the primary polling engine's web console to see if managing views was possible from there as opposed to using the addition web server console.  I was able to manage the views on the primary polling engine so this is more than likely an issue with the additional web server after installing NPM v11.5.

0 Kudos