This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Error editing a View - An unexpected error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm having problems in the Orion Web Console when I try to edit or customize a View.
"An unexpected error occurred: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
This error occurs when I try to edit or add the resources available in a View.

How I can solve it?

• does it do this for any view you try to edit?

perhaps try copying another view (not one you are currently having troubles with) and try adding resources to the new copy of view.

Might be that view you are trying to edit got corrupted or something.

Also, I'd suggest opening a ticket; and please post results/info here!

Thx

• As says: open a support ticket.

Have you done an NPM upgrade recently? The last time I had this, the only way to get it fixed was for someone from SolarWinds support to set a variable in the XML file that drives the configuration to force it to re-install everything. Attempting to repair the install of various components didn't fix it.

• Yes please post results if you have a ticket open.  We are experiencing the same error message.  Even when trying to change the color scheme under settings. 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

What version is this occurring with?

• I am experiencing the same error when I try to customize the a customized home screen. I have not recently upgraded NPM, but did some hotfix updates for NCM, NTA, and UDT.

• I'm not sure if this will help you at all.  But we had a custom (corporate colored) scheme.  After Installing NPM and re-running the config wizard due to some other issues I guess it reset this/removed it?  Not sure.  Our WebSettings table was referencing a StyleSheet that no longer existed.  I changed the SettingValue to one of the default styles ie SlateGray.css.  Ran the query and no longer experience the error message.  Is it possible you set up a custom view somewhere?  I have seen this on another occasion where we had a custom interface set up in NPM and it would throw an error message.  We had to delete the item causing the error out of the viewsbydevicetype table.  It may help if you post the error in its entirety.  Thanks.

• THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED !

Recreate the Orion website by following the steps below:

1. Stop all Orion Services using Orion Service Manager
    2. Open C:\Inetpub
    3. Rename the Solarwinds folder to Solarwinds_OLD
    4. Open IIS
    5. Delete the Solarwinds Orion Website

** Please note that all settings are stored in the database so by deleting the website you will not lose any data

6. Open the Orion Configuration wizard
    7. Run all 3 portions of the Configuration Wizard - Database, Website & Services

**If you want to enable automatic login for web console accounts using Windows Authentication, configure the Orion Web Console as shown in the following steps:

(1) Please launch IIS Manager, expand Sites and select the SolarWinds website.
    (2) Look for the "Authentication" option and double-click it. From there, make sure that Windows Authentication is enabled.
    (3) Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard.
    (4) Check Website, and then click Next.
    (5) After providing the appropriate IP Address, Port, and Website Root Directory, select Yes – Enable automatic login using Windows Authentication.
    (6) Click Next, and then complete the Configuration Wizard.

• excellent, thank you for posting the fix!

• Have the same error here, will check with support if this fix is ok, but thanks for posting.

• In general these are all caused by bugs in the solarwinds installer or application, and people should open tickets with solarwinds support.

I get this all of the time because some interfaces have NULL values in either the interfacetypedescription or interfacetypename and the Views by Device Type setting control crashed because it wasn't coded to cope with NULLS, and the database allows them in the columns. (I do not yet understand why this data gets into the database, but it should not crash the webUI.)