cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Emailing alerts

Jump to solution

Is there a limit to how many email addresses that can be entered in an trap alert notification?  

I have setup SNMP traps to email the alerts to a list of people(in the send, cc and bcc). When a trap hits the NPM I can see the alert come into the NPM and the setup criteria seems to be correct because I have programmed the alert to change color when a trap comes in and it does, but I do not recieve the emails. I deleted a bunch of email addreses out of the notification action and I started getting the emails. I am wondering if there is a magic number of emails that can entered.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Double check how you listed the e-mails.  I believe it is expected that they're separated by commas.  If you miss a comma or format this incorrectly otherwise, it may cause a problem.

You can try adding a second e-mail in the list of one working address to see if it works.  If it does, continue to add e-mail addresses to the list (not necessarily one at a time, but in groups of manageable size) and testing.  It'll be a bit annoying for those receiving the test messages, but it might help shed light on the issue so you know what needs to be done to make it work in the future. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 13

I don't know if there is a limit, but I like to create email groups within AD and then  use those for my alerts.

0 Kudos

I could do this, but these email addresses are coming from the customer of who they want to get notified. I am asking the question so I can find out if there is a maximum amount of emails that can be entered so we can inform the customer if they need to create a smaller list or set up a group.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Double check how you listed the e-mails.  I believe it is expected that they're separated by commas.  If you miss a comma or format this incorrectly otherwise, it may cause a problem.

You can try adding a second e-mail in the list of one working address to see if it works.  If it does, continue to add e-mail addresses to the list (not necessarily one at a time, but in groups of manageable size) and testing.  It'll be a bit annoying for those receiving the test messages, but it might help shed light on the issue so you know what needs to be done to make it work in the future. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos