This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Elements & Components

Hello all,

Hope you are doing well & good.

I'm having a very basic question here. I have researched this so many times, but couldn't find an appropriate striking answer.

Can you please let me know what's the difference between elements & components in SolarWinds. How they are differentiated..?

Also what's the suggested max. number of monitoring elements & components for a single polling engine..?

Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

Solai.

•  wrote:

Hello all,

Hope you are doing well & good.

I'm having a very basic question here. I have researched this so many times, but couldn't find an appropriate striking answer.

Can you please let me know what's the difference between elements & components in SolarWinds. How they are differentiated..?

Also what's the suggested max. number of monitoring elements & components for a single polling engine..?

Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

Solai.

An element in Orion is typically referring to something like a managed Node, Interface, or Volume.  A component often specific to the Server and Application Monitor (SAM).  Application templates are made up of components. So for example - if I am checking a simple template like Windows Services and Counters, each of those polled items are a component.

jblankjblank_0-1587150972930.png

Typical rule of thumb for a single polling engine would be approximately 12,000 elements and 10,000 components.  

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/orionplatform/Content/Core-Multi-Module-System-Guidelines.htm

•  

Hello Jblank,

Thanks much for your reply. It clears the differentiation in a pretty good manner.

As suggested, a polling engine can accommodate 12K elements & 10K components in general, our environment is slightly different here. Mentioned the polling numbers below. Can you please let me know, if it's overloaded or manageable..?

Primary Polling Engine - 1010 Elements & 14600 Components
    Additional Polling Engine 1 - 1440 Elements & 14000 Components
    Additional Polling Engine 2 - 970 Elements & 14500 Components

Thanks in advance..!!

Regards,

Solaiy.

•  

Any update on this please.. Thanks in advance..!

Regards,

Solaiy.

•  wrote:

Hello Jblank,

Thanks much for your reply. It clears the differentiation in a pretty good manner.

As suggested, a polling engine can accommodate 12K elements & 10K components in general, our environment is slightly different here. Mentioned the polling numbers below. Can you please let me know, if it's overloaded or manageable..?

Primary Polling Engine - 1010 Elements & 14600 Components
    Additional Polling Engine 1 - 1440 Elements & 14000 Components
    Additional Polling Engine 2 - 970 Elements & 14500 Components

Thanks in advance..!!

Regards,

Solaiy.

A good rule of thumb is to typically distribute your elements among your additional polling engines and minimize the load on the primary. As far as your component count, you are higher than average on each of the polling engines. However, this does not necessarily indicate any sort of issue in your particular case as every environment is different.

If you are concerned or seeing performance related problems, I would certainly ensure that the components you are monitoring are critical to your goals, and do any clean up that might be possible. Unknown templates or components are still attempted to be polled and can lead to performance issues. It may be worth while to inappropriate another APE to distribute the load further. I would also recommend reaching out to your account representative and perhaps running through a health check with a Sales Engineer if needed.    

•  

Thanks much for immediate attention. Much helpful..!! 

Cheers..!

Regards,

Solaiy.