This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Duplicate nodes appearing in NPM inventory report

I'm tweaking the default Cisco inventory report to make reports based on the network device type (layer 2, IOS-XE switch, etc.) and am having problems with duplicate nodes appearing. 

The query setting is really simple using an OR condition and the list of machine types I want included. 

l2 switch inventory.PNG

When I go to preview the report, I see duplicates of some nodes, like this

duplicates.PNG

I've checked in node management and made sure that there aren't actual duplicates. Any ideas on what could cause this?

• Are you sure you have the same IP addresses in the case described? Another question - did you clone any report or you have built it from scratch?

Please add Node ID to the report to be sure you have exactly the same, duplicated nodes. Be sure that you have not specified any time period for the table.

I have few ideas yet but lem me know the answers and report result with NodeID-s.

• Yes, I've double checked that the IP addresses are the same. Also, yes, I cloned the default Cisco inventory report to create this one. The dynamic query is different, though, since the default just uses Vendor equals Cisco to select the nodes. 

Here's a screenshot with the NodeIDs added. 

NodeID.PNG

• Hello jwood521. I am having the exact same issue.  Where you able to overcome? If so can you share how?

• its likely that one of the columns is actually doing a join which can lead to duplicated data. You can check by expanding the columns to see if its getting the information from different tables. If it is you may have to move to a SWQL based data source to accommodate for it and add in logic to exclude duplicates.

• Are any of them orphaned?  You might get rid of them by running database management. 

I've had that problem as a result of changing SNMP credentials which caused NPM to have duplicate nodes that both appeared to be responding.  I had to go to my database and query the "NodesData" table in the SolarWindsOrion database and look for old SNMP community strings and delete the nodes associated with them.  A similar thing happened when I moved my NPM installation to a new server which changed the engineID.  I ended up with a ton of duplicates and had to go and delete everything with the old engine ID.  I'm sure both were due to mistakes on my part but that is how I ended up fixing them.