This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Download Switch Configs

I found a Cisco article called 'How To Copy Configurations To and From Cisco Devices Using SNMP'

It's using a MIB called the CISCO-CONFIG-COPY-MIB, but I haven’t got a clue how to use it, details are here:

www.cisco.com/.../technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aa6.shtml

If anyone figures out how to do this with Orion I’d be very interested to know.

Cheers

Clive
  • This is not as of yet possible with Orion. This procedure is depenedant on SNMP SET commands. Orion, even with the custom MIB poller is limited to SNMP GET. Prehaps you should be looking at Solarwinds Cirrus.

www.solarwinds.net/.../index.aspx

• Easy to do with Orion and some simple PHP scripts.

You can easily write a script in PHP that does what you want (I actually have done one myself). You can then create a custom section on the Node Details page with a button that fires off the script.

Cirrus is an excellent tool...don't get me wrong, but you can save quite a bit of money with a little work.

• Thanks for the replys

I'd be very intersted to see the PHP scripts if you're willing to post it up.

Clive
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    We are using Kiwi CatTools for backup off config.
    - price is nice emoticons_wink.png

www.kiwisyslog.com/products.php
  • quote:Originally posted by gstrand

We are using Kiwi CatTools for backup off config.
    - price is nice emoticons_wink.png

www.kiwisyslog.com/products.php

I'll second gstrand's CatTools recommendation. I have it loaded up and pulling configs from my Cisco and Foundry devices each night. I also created a custom property on the Node Details page which is a link to the config file so we can view it easily.

CatTools can upload configs as well. I know this is not actually doing it with Orion, but you can at least have some integration.
  • I'll try to post some code either tonight or tomorrow.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    SW had a vbs file for download in the customer portal for toolset owners called DownloadMultipleConfigs.vbs. I don't see it there now but that's what we use and it works perfect.
  • I found this Tech Republic article which explains how to get the a router config using the built-in HTTP server:

articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6039967.html

You could add a link to the Orion node details page to view or run just about any command you want on the router using this method.

Here's another goldmine of info on configuring http on your Cisco devices:
    ioshints.blogspot.com/.../http

This shows you how to include the username & password in the URL used in Orion to run the command on your router.
    ioshints.blogspot.com/.../include-default-usernamepassword-in.html

It also explains how to setup various levels of access using HTTP so that you can limit the Web link to only show commands, but no config changes.
    ioshints.blogspot.com/.../multilevel-web-http-access-to-router.html

And here is a method of uploading or downloading a Cisco device config using a webserver:
    This is far more reliable than using TFTP, since it uses TCP rather than UDP to transfer the file.
    ioshints.blogspot.com/.../use-http-to-store-router.html
    Here's the full blown article, including how to configure your web-server to accept the configs from the router:
    www.nil.com/.../

All these features would be very easy to integrate into Orion.
    Similar to the Custom Property Editor page, you could add a link on the node details page or interface details page to another custom web page with a list of commands to run against the displayed node or interface.
    This would prevent the details page from getting too cluttered up with additional links & would only be displayed for users that have the "allowed to clear events" attribute in their Orion Account.

How cool is that?
    Disclaimer:
    Of course this would be for the non-technical users only, for everyone else we still prefer command-line :-P

-=Cheers=-
    NG

~seek & ye shall find---> [url="http://www4.solarwinds.net/SolarWindsForum/search.asp"] <---no need to wait for answers~
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    quote:You could add a link to the Orion node details page to view or run just about any command you want on the router using this method.

You can do even more ... I'm working on a Tcl solution to generate customized printouts on the router and HTML code to get them integrated in nice-looking HTML page. Will post a link when it's finished.
  • quote:Originally posted by IvanPepelnjak

quote:You could add a link to the Orion node details page to view or run just about any command you want on the router using this method.

You can do even more ... I'm working on a Tcl solution to generate customized printouts on the router and HTML code to get them integrated in nice-looking HTML page. Will post a link when it's finished.

Wow - thanks for posting here Ivan!
    You have an excellent Blog & Web site for Cisco hints & tricks- nice to see someone thinking outside the box.
    Keep it coming.

I've yet to implement any of this in my Orion install, but it sure looks useful as a tool to integrate with Orion.