Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 8

Down vs. Unreachable

Jump to solution

I have nodes with a Down status on a regular basis and I understand what that means.  But occasionally nodes have an Unreachable status.  What exactly is the difference?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Down vs. Unreachable

Jump to solution
Unreachable indicates that you have a dependency enabled. Dependencies are intended to cut down on alert noise when you lose a choke point on the network. For example when an edge firewall in a remote office is down you might not want to get 30 alerts for all of the downstream devices so thre dependency allows Orion to only send down node alert on the firewall and everything else gets marked as unreachable. We don't know if they are up or down because out network path is broken.
- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 14

Jump to solution

If you have Enhanced Node Status enabled, this post should explain what you are seeing.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Product-Blog/Orion-Platform-2019-2-Enhanced-Node-Status/ba-p/433041

D

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm on 2018.2, thus no enhanced node status. 

The two different statuses sound very redundant.  Doesn't DOWN mean its unreachable??

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Unreachable indicates that you have a dependency enabled. Dependencies are intended to cut down on alert noise when you lose a choke point on the network. For example when an edge firewall in a remote office is down you might not want to get 30 alerts for all of the downstream devices so thre dependency allows Orion to only send down node alert on the firewall and everything else gets marked as unreachable. We don't know if they are up or down because out network path is broken.
- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Ah ha, that explanation makes perfect sense.  It has a parent and the parent is Down.  Thank you very much!

0 Kudos