This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Does Syslog Service support RFC3164?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I opened a case in October 2006 (v7.8.5) in regards to various questions regarding moving to SW Syslog service.  One of our most important concerns was whether Syslog supports RFC3164 in regards to the ability to forward a complete syslog message to another host with original message, source address intact.  RFC3164 states the syslog relay server has to add a header around the original syslog message following the conventions described in Section 4.3 in IETF RFC 3164 [1].   Our plan was to migrate off of WinSysLog to Orion Syslog but then abandoned the effort once we found it was non-compliant with RFC.  We would like to use Orion Syslog for logging and be able to forward original syslog to a Cisco MARS box.

Back at the time, SW response was no but, "my request would be forwarded to the Product Manager that will be working with the Development Team to see what we might be able to do to add this compliance in the next major release of Orion."  Never heard another word and v8.0 & 8.1 have been released and soon to be v8.5 & 8.6 and I haven't read anything in any notes.  Does anyone know if Syslog is compliant in version 8?