This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Disk Volumes Widget Shows Memory Volumes

The disk volumes widget shows physical and virtual memory. Why?! 

shocko_0-1593526161241.png

Now, I realize when you run 'List Resources' memory is treated as a volumes but they are still not disks.

• That is correct, this is how it has been always, you should monitor 'Physical & Virtual Memory' only in case you need that kind of a specific segregation and only if you want to report or alert on it specifically. If in case your requirement isn't so, then don't select them when you a do a list resource or ignore them in automatic discovery.

Anyways we generally select 'CPU&Memory' from list resources, hence we can report or alert on memory from the details that are collected on this resource.

• Is there any way to clone that widget to a new one that doesn't include memory or exclude them from the existing one by modifying the underlying query or the like?? 

• 1. Default Disk Volumes (widget/resource) doesn't provide a filtering option.

2. I wouldn't suggest this but it is possible, you have to add a new resource to list the volumes and apply a filter on that resource to only display the actual disks, but for this you gotta edit your default Node Summary View. Rather i would suggest you to remove all physical and virtual memory stats in your environment, that's kinda simple just select all physical and virtual and delete them. 

3. But if you are worried about Volume alerts, in that case its pretty simple, by default when you create a volume alert it will also consider physical and virtual memory as your volume alert is applicable for everything that's under Disk Volumes, if that is your concern then -> in alert trigger action just make sure your alert only on the relevant fixed disk:

Volume Type: Fixed Disk OR Volume Type: FixedDisk

VolumeAlert.JPG

This condition will only be applied on the drives (example C:\ or D:\ .... etc), Hope it helps....

• Hmm. Is there now way to build a widget from scratch?
  • There is indeed (on both the classic and modern dashboards).

I wrote a post detailing the volume dashboard I've built in the modern dash however the key to making it work and only show actual volumes involves building your widgets to add this to the swql query:

where node.Unmanaged = false 
         and vfc.DisplayName != 'Physical Memory'
         and vfc.DisplayName != 'Virtual Memory'
         and vfc.DisplayName LIKE '%:%'

That will result in it excluding the RAM info and also will show you only lettered drives so you don't see vmdk volumes in their either.

• Chris, that awesome. Have you a link to that post? 

PS: I feel like dwayne dibly

• I use this custom SWQL Query for the Disks on my VMs (just edit the WHERE statement to pull in the exact nodes you want):

SELECT top 10 n.caption as [Node]

, v.Caption as [Volume]

, tostring((round(v.VolumePercentUsed,1))) + '%' as [Space Used]

,round(v.volumespaceavailable/1073741824,1) as [Free GB]

,case when f.DaysToCapacityPeak is null then 'No Forecast'

when f.DaysToCapacityPeak<0 then 'Full'

when f.DaysToCapacityPeak<91 then tostring(f.DaysToCapacityPeak)

when f.DaysToCapacityPeak>90 then '>90 Days'

end as [Estimated Days til Full],

v.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Volume]

, n.DetailsUrl as [_linkfor_Node]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + n.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Node]

, case when fc.WarningThreshold is null and v.VolumePercentUsed > (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Error') then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Critical.gif'

when fc.WarningThreshold is null and v.VolumePercentUsed > (Select CurrentValue AS [col1] FROM Orion.Settings WHERE SettingID = 'NetPerfMon-DiskSpace-Warning') then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Warning.gif'

when v.VolumePercentUsed>f.CriticalThreshold then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Critical.gif'

when v.VolumePercentUsed>f.WarningThreshold then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Warning.gif'

end as [_Iconfor_Space Used]

,'/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-' + v.StatusIcon AS [_IconFor_Volume]

from orion.Volumes v

join orion.nodes n on n.nodeid=v.nodeid

left join Orion.ForecastCapacitySettings fc on fc.InstanceId=v.VolumeID and fc.metricid=3

left join Orion.ForecastCapacity f on f.InstanceId = v.VolumeID and f.EntityType='Orion.volumes'

left join Orion.AlertSuppression asup on asup.entityuri = n.uri

where (v.FullName like '%-VS01%' or n.CustomProperties.storeVM = 'true') and v.Caption not like '%physical%'

order by currentvalue desc
  • Can you send a screenshot of this one ?

• Does that work on 2019.04 also?