This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Discovering network address instead of real address

FormerMember
FormerMember

Hi

Some of our routers, both our own and thoes provided by our MPLS provider are not discovered with there real IP address but with a network address of one of the nets that is hosted on that device.

E.g. a router that has a ip address of 10.136.2.253/24 is discovered with a address of 10.136.2.0

The discovery agent has read access via SNMP to the devices

Any ideas?

• Hi,

which version of NPM do you have? There were big changes in discovery for version NPM 10.2 and later. If you have older version you could try newer one.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tomas.mrkvicka

Hi

I´m running one of the newest versions

Version 10.2.1
    Service Pack None

• Are you able to connect to that router via SNMP with address 10.136.2.0 (e.g. SnmpWalk.exe utility shipped with NPM can be used)? Maybe your router is able to respond to various IP addresses and we just select one of them.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to tomas.mrkvicka

Hi

Yes I am able to SNMP walk/get when using the network address as the destination address as well as when i use the read address

• Wouldn't be able to configure that device to have only one SNMP-responsible address? I am afraid our discovery has to choose one of available addresses on given device and in your case it select one that you are not interested in.

• I realise this is old but i have the same problem with my L3 switches.

I have done the walk and most IP references are to the IP address etc, however it does seem to make a lot of lookups to the route tables etc and that seems to be where it might be pulling it.

I have begun to set snmp trap and inform source interfaces on my devices, i cant confirm this fixes it but so far its looking better.

Cheers,

Ayden

EDIT: Forgot to say, the issue for me (and from the sound of it, the OP as well) is that it is selecting the network IP, not the hosts IP (i.e. to use a false IP range, my device is 192.168.1.22 /24 and it puts the IP as 192.168.1.0 - Strangely SNMP still seems to work though i suspect its just whatever host in the network responds first, whereas config downloads fail obviously)