cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Discover List Resources in Orion

Jump to solution

Hi, I have noticed that the "rediscover Resorces" option in polling (settings) does not get new interfaces/subinterfaces (resoruces), so I have to launch manually the "list resource" option in each device and check the new subinterface to see if it is being monitored. This is a big problem in large nerwork devices as I am dealing with. Besides, our network is growing so fast that it makes it difficult to keep our customer services updated. Is it possible to launch a job or something like this to add new list resources automatically? I opened a Case with Solar but they refer this forum to me in order to get a solution.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Try v9.5.  We've added at least some of what's suggested here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 10

David,

The Rediscovery process is not meant to add new interfaces or resources into Orion. It's function is to reconcile interface indexes in the database. When a switch re-indexes its interfaces the Redicovery porocess will read those new indexes and update the interface entries in the db with the new index numbers.

As for auto adding interfaces and such that is not a capability that Orion has. It could cause more harm than good in the right environment. What you can do is periodically run the Network Discovery and find and add new devices and interfaces that way.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Does Orion NPM 9 auto discover and add new interfaces to managed devices? This is a feature that has been provided by MRTG for years.
0 Kudos

We're planning to add that soon. 

0 Kudos

We're planning to add that soon. 

Could you make that an optional (yes/no) global and or "by node" type feature.

It would be sad to burn up a polling engine with sub-interfaces or un-routed VLANS 

0 Kudos

It would definitely be optional.  If you need it, it's great.  If not, it would be a bug.

0 Kudos

The ability to specify the interface types that are automatically added might be useful.  For instance I may want Serial or Gig interfaces automatically added but not new loopbacks. 

0 Kudos

Anything come of this feature request?

0 Kudos

Try v9.5.  We've added at least some of what's suggested here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

HI,

I want to automate the same in my infra because some time we forget to add the interface or drive in monitoring and we face the big problem some time if the same in not under monitoring, per my thinking it is not possible to do list recourse on every node and check mark and then submit the details which is not under monitoring. it is very hectic in big infra.

NPM- 11.5.2

0 Kudos

You might look at SolarWinds LANsurveyor.   http://www.solarwinds.com/products/LANsurveyor/index.aspx

It's a network mapping and visualization tool.   It can automatically discovery new devices at they're added to your network.  You can then add those discovered items into Orion.  The process is manual at the moment, however.

0 Kudos