This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Disable all E-Mail Notifications

Hi,

We have currently shutdown our SolarWinds environment and we are rebuilding the whole Environment. We have backed up our database. Is there a way to disable all e-mail notifications when SolarWinds has been rebuilt. I am thinking of a setting where we can just change the SMTP address. Please note our application is unavailable and we will have to update this entry in the database.

We may end up sending some stale notifications when we bring up the application, hence we want to disable the notification initially before we have made all updates to our monitoring.

Thanks in advance.

• Usually you can turn off alerting prior to shutdown and after startup you can let things settle before turning it back on.

Since you have already shutdown it may not be so easy.  

• Are you building new servers and attaching to your 'old' database? I am hoping to do the same. I am planning on firewalling everything off except the ports SW needs. You could block off the SMTP port at the firewall temporarily if you have one in place. 

• That's exactly what I will be doing. We do have firewalls in place. I was hoping for a DB query where I can just provide a fake SMTP relay server so e-mails don't get sent out.

• If you are doing a new install you could manually shut the SMTP service down prior to the installation. I can't remember is SW had their own or they used the one built in Windows. Mine's not up to take a look at the moment. Other option would be have your mail admin blacklist the Orion server's IP's during your install. 

•  an option you might be able to try is to set the value for Enabled to False for all the Actions from the "Actions" table 

• I had to do this on my system when I brought it back up. SO the table you need is called DBO.SMTP Servers if you attach with SQL Studio you can use this query to view it. Fill in YOURDATABASENAME with the correct info below.

SELECT TOP (1) [SMTPServerID]
    ,[BackupServerID]
    ,[Address]
    ,[Port]
    ,[CredentialID]
    ,[IsDefault]
    ,[EnabledSSL]
    FROM [YOURDATABASENAME].[dbo].[SMTPServers]

That will show your existing SMTP Server Name. To change it to a bogus name, or any other name run this query.

Fill in the data in all caps to your systems correct info.

Use YOURDATABASENAME
    GO
    UPDATE SMTPServers
    SET Address = 'YOURBOGUSSMTPSERVERNAME'
    WHERE SMTPServerID = 1;

Runt the first query again once you are done to verify your change took.

Sorry for the delayed response my system was out of service for a while.