This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Device types that Orion support?

Dear all,

I have three devices in the network which I set up recently for a trial on Orion.
This mini network is set up by only three devices, one switch (which can be classified into Cisco Catalyst 2926R), one desktop with Windows server 2003 acts as a server and one notebook with Windows XP for pinging desktop and switch.

Desktop and notebook are classified into "Unknown" type, and I search in System Manager for SysObjectID, I found that it is empty for these two unknown type.
Is it normal or something goes wrong during my implementation?

Switch can successfully classified into Cisco Catalyst, it seems to me that switching monitoring is supported by Orion. For finishing the report on Orion asked by my supervisor, I would like to ask that what device types does Orion support (can be successfully classified into corresponding types)?

I am interested in whether Routers or Firewalls can be classified into corresponding types because I now do not have such devices for testing.
Or is it depend on the vendors or types of the devices?

If anyone have experience on this, please kindly share your valuable experiences with me, thanks.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Jason

• Hi,

Desktop and notebook are classified into "Unknown" type, and I search in System Manager for SysObjectID, I found that it is empty for these two unknown type.
    Is it normal or something goes wrong during my implementation?

It looks like Orion could not contact the devices through the SNMP protocol. Can you check that you configured SNMP on those devices?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324263

Check as well if you added the devices as SNMP nodes instead of ICMP ones.

I would like to ask that what device types does Orion support (can be successfully classified into corresponding types)?

As soon as a device supports SNMP (SNMPv2-MIB2) and ICMP it is supported by Orion. However the best way to ensure that is supported is to try to add the device into Orion.

There's a lot of way to classify the devices, you can either use the details discovered by SNMP which includes the Vendor (e.g. Juniper Networks, Inc.) and the Machine Type (e.g Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL) or use the Custom Properties which makes it "customizable".

Tutorial about the Custom Property Editor:

http://www.solarwinds.com/resources/democenter/Orion/CustProp.html?INTCMP=ILC-TUT-OCPE

Concerning the properties discovered by SNMP, you can open System Manager and check the drop down list at the top of the devices list on the left pane to review how they can be classified.

Hope that answers some of your questions, If not please detail where you need more information.

Regards,

Yann

• Dear Yann,

"Check as well if you added the devices as SNMP nodes instead of ICMP ones."

I am new to the area of network performance monitoring, I would like to know how to check it is added as ICMP or SNMP?

Thank you for answering me in detail, the information is very useful in helping me.
    Thanks.

Best regards,
    Jason

• Hi,

how to check it is added as ICMP or SNMP?

Start > All Programs > Solarwinds Orion > System Manager

Right-Click on a device and select Node Details.

Check the Object Sub-Type in the list of informations. It can be either ICMP or SNMP.

Regards,

Yann

• Dear Yann,

Thanks.

The desktop is added as ICMP since i see it is ICMPin Object Sub-Type.

Can I change it to SNMP as if added as SNMP?

or I need to do some other works to make it becomes SNMP?

or it cannot be change since desktop should classified as ICMP?

Best regards,
    Jason