This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Detaching screen elements for a consolidated NOC

I have a need to detach screen elements and combine them with elements from other monitoring products (ie security monitoring, etc. etc.) into a NOC dashboard.  Here's the catch, I'd like to be able to provide that functionality with the ability to drill down on the elements to the actual application providing the data.

Anyone have any ideas and/or success in doing this with SolarWinds applications?  (Either pulling the elements from the webpage for hosting elsewhere, or editting the pages to host other data)

Anyone have an idea on a base to use for building this NOC dashboard?

Thanks,

Josh

• Here's the catch, I'd like to be able to provide that functionality with the ability to drill down on the elements to the actual application providing the data.

Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly. For example, you'll have all of the various elements of your monitoring applications appear on the same screen. From this dashboard, you want to be able to drill down into your security monitoring application from the very same screen? If so, I don't imagine this working very well.

I've played around with this idea myself using iframes and interacting with this dashboard can prove to be cumbersome. Since the size of the iframe is fixed, if you drill into a page that's larger than the iframe, it can get annoying fast (because of the scrolling—both vertical and horizontal).

The best use I've found for something like this dashboard is simply for monitoring. Load it on a large screen somewhere so you can quickly glance at the status of various elements. However, if you want to interact with any one of the elements, load up the corresponding monitoring application on your machine and work from there.

Admittedly, I've only tried this by integrating the various elements into Orion.
  • Well, that may not be a bad solution either --- a dynamic monitoring screen that would allow you to watch various elements and then jump to (instead of drill down) to the actual application.  I'll do some digging on iframes and see if it will fit the bill.  Thanks for the ideas ---

Josh

• Just to bring this thread back to life, I had our web developers do a proof of concept with iFrames and a clickable overlay.  Works wonderfully in the proof of concept.  This way I can get the information I want onto the dashboard view and still allow interaction within the Orion application.  As soon as I want to jump into one of the iFrames for a deep dive I can click and be taken into a new window for full screen navigation.

Seemed like the best way to go about it to me.

Josh

• Hi,

I am looking to setup something similar

Can you share your screenshot of the view and also the code if possible?

Thanks

Chandru