This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Dell Hardware - WMI - Monitor Physical Drive Status?

Good morning all,

Unfortunately I am not a Solarwinds expert, however I'm slowly trying to learn whatever I'm able to. One of my colleagues had pointed out that he wanted to be able to be notified if a hard drive were to fail in the server. Our shop is primarily Dell servers, mostly Windows with some VMware stuff.

I have been poking around and have gotten bits and pieces of information on how I may or may not be able to do this. Presently for the majority we are scanning devices using WMI instead of SNMP. Is it possible to view the hard drive status using WMI? I currently have a machine with a bad hard drive that I've been using as a test. I do have Dell OpenManage installed on this device, however it is not the latest version as later versions had crashed (Server 2012). Hardware Resources is checked when looking for polling, but physical drives are not listed (only volumes). 

I have the following questions:

1. I have been pointed in the direction of UnDP / MIB / OIDs. Is this only applicable using SNMP?
  2. Traps - Something I know very little about. Is it possible to specifically alert based on a trap message received by the Solarwinds server?

Thanks!